BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-17-2019, 08:52 PM
Lurker

Cool Barn Find: YerfDog 3206 SpiderBox - The Revival

What's up Fellas!?! New to the site. I came across an old spiderbox. I paid $100 for it. It was sitting on flats and hadnt ran in a year or two. I loaded it up in my buddy's truck and brought it on over to the house. Took a good look and it seems to be the Howhit 150 engine. I cleaned the filthy carb and cleaned out the fuel tank and lines and added an in line filter. I took the battery out of my 02 Mustang and strapped it on the back rack. Cranked right up. The next day I played around with the tires and even though they are dryrotted, surprisingly, they all held air. So I did what anyone would do at that point. Yep. I took it for a test drive... Went pretty awesome! The next day I took another ride and got myself in a hairy situation. I pretty much split a ditch on a ROUGH dirt road. Tires on either side, figured I was about to eat it. But this spiderbox TOOK it and kept going. And I had my wife with me in the passenger seat at the time. Lol. That was great. Figured I had me a bad ass little toy. Fast forward to two days later. Another ride down the dirt road and it dies while I'm hauling ass. So I get it pulled over to my buddies and we start messin with the wiring harness. Quickly discovering it to be a junk harness with splices everywhere and a broke off rectifier. Apparently the solenoid burnt out at the same time it died and this harness was NOT color coded lol. Next thing I know, my buddy starts pulling out the wiring harness talking about rewiring the harness. 30 minutes later, i had the yerf back at my house with a royally screwed harness and me scratching my head. So I'm at a full stop at the moment. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Any help rewiring this puppy would be GREATLY appreciated. Wiring has never been my strong suite.

As a side note: can anyone tell me where to find the engine numbers? I've looked but cant seem to find any.

Last edited by KryptaKnight; 06-17-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Contributor

Engine numbers will be on a pad right under where the variator is below the side cover.
https://donutpros.com/blog/gy6-engine-code

As for the harness, the few buggies I've messed with so far it was just easier to trash the hacked up harness and start over. A. the harnesses on them at best are junk B. too many times people try to "fix" the junk harness making it even bigger junk. Maybe this will help
Old 10-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Lurker

I'm currently searching online for a complete "wiring loom." I'm wanting to replace the actual wiring and/or at the very least, the regulator, the relay solenoid, the cdi, the coil, and the resistor. I see MANY options for off brand quads but none specifically for the howhit engine. Where do I go from here? Im really liking the look of a complete wiring "loom." Comes with everything INCLUDING an ignition AND toggles. Can anyone post a link to a reliable yet cost effective wiring harness for the 3206 Yerf Dog SpiderBox?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

Purchase the wire, connectors and make one up. I had redone mine replacing all connectors with water tight connectors with exception of the rectifier and cdi for quick replacement purposes. If you do find a harness that will work it will be as much junk if not more than the original.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Lurker

Could I use the offbrand wiring harness for parts after I buy the original wiring harness for the connectors? The toggles, ignition, and extra parts seem appealing. I could be wrong though. After all, I AM on a budget.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:44 AM
Lurker

I have heard that a TrailMaster 150 Harness can be retrofitted to work on a yerf dog
Old 10-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Supporting Vendor

Trailmaster is wired differently. For one the Trailmaster is a DC ign. system where Yerf is AC. I would just save my pennies and build one for the Yerf. You'll be done with it for good. Cheap will get you going but will not last and cost more in the not so long run.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Lurker

I'm ready to spend some cash on it tomorrow. I'm guessing I'm gonna head over to the BMI Karts site and buy the harness itself for the connectors and I'll buy the individual parts I need like the regulator, relay solenoid, coil, and cdi box separately. Do I need the little resistor block that came on the yerf dog originally?
Old 10-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

The resistor controls the enrichment valve (choke) so it is needed.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Lurker

Ten four. I'll order everything then. I'll post what I get.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Lurker

I ordered the rear wiring harness, starter relay, regulator, cdi, and the resistor straight off BMI website. Pretty sure I can rebuild the wiring harness with that. Only thing i didn't buy was coil, stator and trigger pickup. I'll be replacing them next but I'm gonna try to get it running again with what I've got coming in the mail now.

Last edited by KryptaKnight; 10-17-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Lurker

So the parts arrived in the mail and I've started hooking them up. I'm having trouble matching up the new BMI harness to the wires coming from the stator. The colors dont match up and also the two wires coming off the starter relay are confusing the hell outta me
Old 10-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Lurker

Update: So I finally figured it all out! The SpiderBox is running strong again! I'll update with pics when I can. Its gonna be a long process but I'm gonna turn it into a jacked up mud machine!