BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-16-2020, 07:24 PM
Lurker

Question Carter talon gx150IIR

I have owned this cart for several years. It ran great the first couple of years then it wouldn’t start. It would turn over but wouldn’t fire. Long story short, it got placed in my uncles shed for almost two years. My kids began to bug me about getting it running again this spring (and rightfully so&#128521. So, after some research I discovered that the excitor coil wasn’t working. I replaced the stator and then I had spark. I had picked up a replacement carb as the original one was completely gummed up. We checked the valve lash, replaced the spark plug, carb, and intake. It fired right up and ran good—for about 5-7 minutes. Once the engine warmed, it was like it was being starved for fuel or spark. Cold, it starts and runs good except in the higher rpm ranges or heavier loads. When it fails, it sputters and dies. You can start it with some difficulty but it won’t stay running. Today, my buddy stopped by with a spark indicator to put between the plug and the plug wire...spark wasn’t regular when the engine wouldn’t start. Is this due to the CDI or??? Any help and direction to a reliable parts supplier would be great for this newbie!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:36 PM
Contributor

Check all of tour grounds something is getting loose when the engine heats up. Could be CDI getting hot and cutting out. Check your fuel feed from the tank the filter may be gummed up and not be letting enough fuel through
Old 08-17-2020, 07:14 AM
Lurker

Thanks plee911 for the quick response. I know that the fuel delivery system is in good shape because I’ve replaced the filter, fuel line, and petcock after bringing it out of long term storage. I haven’t checked the grounds and will make that my next priority. Is there a certain ground connection spot that typically gives problems on these carts? Assuming all the grounds are good, if my CDI is faulty do I need an AC or DC unit? I’m assuming mine is AC because it does have the black and red wire coming out of the two pin connector running to the excitor coil on the stator. Just want to make sure I’m getting the correct part—if needed...
Old 08-17-2020, 11:24 PM
Contributor

If you have the black and red connected you have an AC system.
The grounds get put all over the place in different places on different buggies, I have even seen them in different places on identical buggies so no there is no specific spot that are common.
The only thing that is common is them getting dirty even when they may not look like they are and losing connection and there being to few of them on almost every buggy made.
Like i said check ALL of your connectors pull them apart inspect/clean them and put them back together. Disconnect your ground and clean them and the mounting points with a wire brush. Dont be afraid to add some additional grounds. Most ground connectors are aluminum or some times copper and your frame is steel. when dissimilar metals are placed in contact with each other it causes a chemical reaction that speeds up tarnish and build up. Add to it that china stuff is not the highest quality and presto you get the wiing issues these buggies are known for. They can be mitigated by inspecting the connectors and grounds regularly and cleaning them.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:31 PM
Contributor

As an example i recently had an issue where my buggy was acting like it had a dead battery even though the battery checked out great. did everything i recommend you doing and still wouldn't crank. Ended up finding out it was the 2 big connectors that are held down with nuts on the solenoid. had built up a layer of crap where it was not visible. Cleaned em up and ta da buggy is back running fine. I have found loose wires plenty of times as well, including the one to my coil that drove me nuts for 3 days before i found out it had managed to get loose and slip off. buggy kept cutting out before it finally died on that one and i couldn't figure out for the life of me why. Replaced the connector and off she went no more issue
Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 AM
Lurker

Thanks again for your specific and clear response. I have started by checking the primary grounds and will also go through and verify all connections looking for loose or corroded terminals. Thanks also for the advice about the dissimilar metals—that is also something to verify. I’ll let you know the outcome as I continue to troubleshoot this headscratcher!
Old 08-24-2020, 08:54 PM
Lurker

Apparently it was the CDI. I ordered a new performance AC model and plugged it in tonight and so far the cart is running great. Thanks again for the help. What supplier would you recommend for a performance exhaust and carb?
Old 08-25-2020, 05:04 AM
Contributor

I recommend any of the supporting vendors, You get what you pay for and with out their help these forums wouldn't be what they are.