BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Ext. Reverse Gearbox

One of my buggies is a 2007 SunL 150cc. Iv'e been told that it's a GK150 and others say it's a GK160, so I'm not sure which is correct. Anyway when I disassembled the gearbox to inspect, regrease, and reinstall it I found that it had 2 small snap rings on the shaft for the F/R actuator. I know that the outer one was to hold the reverse cable ball in the socket, but the other one was up against the nub sticking out on the housing. No one that I have been able to contact knows of 2 snap rings being used. Does anybody else out there have the 2 snap ring setup on their buggies. I don't know if it was done originally or by the previous owner. Thanks for any help
Old 07-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Power User

i think someone left an extra snap ring for you.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Lite Contributor

X-Bird I think you might be right. But now the question arrises, do I put it back on and run it as it was with 2 snap rings, (1 in each groove) or run it how it is on other buggies? Thanks for your response
Old 07-05-2014, 11:48 AM

if there is no where for it to go, I would remove and save it. put a little tag on it saying where it fits for later reference.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Power User

ok, so there's an extra groove--interesting. i thought you meant it was just jammed up in the end of the cap. Only "use" for I could imagine would be if it was in there to act as a stop against the cap to prevent overstressing the cable.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Zman, There is a place for it since a 2nd groove is cut in the shaft behind the ball keeper - just outside of the case.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Lite Contributor

X-Bird, That makes sense to limit the action. When I took it apart you could see a little wear pattern on the inner side of the 2nd snap ring where it brushed up against the nose on the housing, but it wasn't a significant amount of wear so it didn't appear to be under any amount of "stress". The reverse worked fine until all of the bolts that held the drive sprocket in place either backed out and / or sheared off causing no forward or reverse motion. Other than that there were no issues with it. I have seen you tube video showing that the 2nd groove is to temporarily hold the actuator shaft in place when replacing the reverse cable by sliding the snap ring back to the 2nd groove, but thats all that I have found so far.

Last edited by kittletstv; 07-05-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:02 PM

well if there is a place for it, I would put it there and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Lite Contributor

zman - I think that's what I'll try since it was working ok before and see how it goes. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Lite Contributor

Also on another note, Since I had originally taken the gearbox apart some ago I have forgotten exactly how the 2 large spacers go. One of then is a large narrow band, and the other has a similar OD with a stepdown colared ID area and fits tighter on the shaft. It seems like they were stacked together between the sprocket side of the gearbox & the output shaft bearing in the main case but they don't really seem to go together like I would have thought. Anybody know exactly how they stack back together (I am assuming they do anyway) with a different small ring spacer out on the outer end behind the nylock nut @ the end of the shaft. Thanks for the help once again.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Lurker

Default Bulldog 200

I have a bulldog 200 without motor and trans, and have looked everywhere online for a complete motor, I found a motor and assembly at BMI from a yerf dog, and was wondering if it could installed in my bull dog from American sports works. the motor for mine is 150cc Subaru. Thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 03:57 PM

welcome and could you post some pics on here of your cart so we can see what it looks like. I have only been messing with these carts about 2 years, and this is the 1st time I have heard of a Subaru 150cc engine.