BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Any trick to putting a timing chain back on the crank sprocket?

Was doing a new piston, rings and cam and realized as I was trying to verify timing my timing chain wasn't turning. Looking back in the case, looks like it come off the sprocket connected to the crank. Taking a break for dinner and want to finish it tonight... just wondering if anyone has a trick. Looks like a PITA to get to. May just pick up the front end and see if the little lady can get it to drop around it...
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Lite Contributor

Meh... I got it. It required profanity and a little bit of time.

I'm mostly back together. Need a new exhaust gasket as I didn't think to get one and the old one just isn't quite the same putting it on, but a little bit of running at idle and as much as I can putter around at 2100 at night in the neighborhood shows she looks to run much better and not be smoky anymore. Cranks a little harder though... I guess that's what I get for having better compression. I know turning it by hand when I had it back together was noticably more difficult. Oh well... belts, clutch spring, cleaning up the unifilter and checking the idle adjust and it's back in business. I even have the seat off so I can try and make it adjust again. Been froze up since I got it years ago.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Lol..cussing at it always seems to work...
Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Lite Contributor

Yep. I just had to pull the head and cylinder off to be able to get a long flatt tip screwdriver to fish around w/the chain and get it back on the sprocket. Probably could have just done the head, but I think it would have taken more time fishing around w/the chain.

I've been running around back and forth a few miles daily this week. I just got new exhaust gaskets yesterday and a PD24j (? whatever kind of carb I have) rebuild kit today and figure I'll give her the works this summer and I have done very little other than a couple fluid changes over the 5 years ive had it. Other than jets, I've done nothing w/the carb since replacing the choke 5 years ago. I'm kinda bad as I don't even really clean it or drain it ever. I just run marine gas w/Stabil in it (got a couple big jugs I keep on hand in case SHTF and the buggy allows for a 'rotation'). I think it's worth it's price premium. I think I might of spent 4 or 5 hundred 5 years ago... so I've well got my money's worth.

Not as much top end w/the A13 but she's got good bottom in and huge mid-range while falling flat so she won't turn high RPMs because it doesn't have the power up top to keep pulling. Good enough for my purposes.

I think next up will be tires 2" taller. It's still got the original rubber which is finally starting to show some treadwear.