BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Contributor

Default GY6 CVT smoking after running for awhile

Hey guys it's been awhile, I've been having some good luck with my Helix (probably since it was barely run while I was away at school). I'm having trouble with what I believe is something overheating.

I'll notice after about 10-15 minutes of running hard, the clutch will slip more easily and the belt will be smoking (smoke coming out of the exhaust for the CVT)...Now we just changed the tranny oil, how high up should that be filled? To the thread line? We're going to have to grab another bottle of it since we put a whole one in already and still can't see the level inside the cap on the side of the engine block. Could too little of that be causing things such as the belt/clutch to overheat and start smoking?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Power User

internal or external reverse? if it's an external reverse, 80 ml gear oil. if you've overfilled it, that may be part of the problem with the clutch slipping.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Contributor

I'm not sure how to determine whether it is an internal or external, all I know is the entire transmission is contained in casing...

The manual for the ASW Helix 150cc calls for 750ml, and an image shows a "fill line bolt," which I have yet to find.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

Your Helix has the internal rev. Right on the side of the case just above the fill is in raised lettering 75ml of gear lube. If you filled it to the threads its wayy too much. It is probably building too much pressure and blowing out the seal behind the clutch.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Contributor

Only 75ml? That extra 0 in the manual makes for a terrible typo! Or did you mean 750ml?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Contributor

Update: Since the manual called for 750 ml I went ahead and re-filled the casing with that amount. Ran the kart hard for nearly half an hour -- same thing. Smoke's coming out of the CVT. I'm thinking a seal went somewhere - there's some oil leaking out from the CVT casing. It's almost black, so I don't think it's the gear oil. I think it's engine oil, but I'm not certain.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

Looking at the cover right side just up and between small sprocket and shift control in raised letters it has 0.75 litre.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Contributor

Ah ok, thanks for the replies. So I did put the right amount of oil in this time. I forgot to mention that there's a slow oil leak coming from somewhere (hard to tell - the bottom of the casing is a mess). It's a very slow leak, and it's a black color so I'm guessing it is motor oil. The leak is so slow the oil doesn't need topped off until it is time to change it. I'm thinking some of the leak is getting onto the belt/clutch, or at least it's burning somewhere (if it isn't the belt burning). If it's a seal as I'm suspecting, I'm guessing it would be very difficult to replace...
Old 06-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Contributor

Pull the CVT cover off, and have a look see. No need to guess or speculate then. If you have a leak, you'll be able to find it, if your belt or clutch shoes are oil soaked, you'll see it, if the variator faces are worn, or the belt....basicly, every thing you've been curious about, will be there in front of you. If you're still unsure you can snap some pics, and post them, then there will be something, everyone can take hold of, and talk you through it...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Power User

sniff test while it's still smoking. big, very distinctive difference between a burning belt, burning clutch shoe and burning gear oil. I'm with Tom, i think you've got too much in it and it's coming through the oil seal on the main shaft and getting into the CVT. Even if you're filled with the right amount, annnd even if you've never opened up the engine/transmission, the seal still could have went away---deformed from just sitting and may be letting the gear oil through.

Last edited by x-bird; 06-26-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Contributor

The only problem I see with the sniff test, is one has to be experienced enough to differentiate between the smells, and since its gonna require openning up eventually, for repairs, why not just open it now for a visual diagnosis.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Contributor

Hey guys it's been a long time, but I'm finally getting around to taking off the CVT cover. I took this pic below about a week ago after running pretty hard. Dunno if you can tell by the color of the smoke what's burning or not, lol. It's really hard to tell by the pic (I thought it would be easier to see than it does due to the amount of smoke pouring out), but the smoke is pretty much white. I'll post some pics soon of the uncovered CVT.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

What smoke
Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Contributor

Yeah, I guess it's not my computer screen hiding the smoke then is it. The camera hid it well unfortunately. I thought there would have been enough to show at least some, but oh well.

I took the CVT cover off, and I'll need another gasket. The nut holding the clutch on is just about stripped to h*ll, so I'll be ordering a new one of those too so I can wrestle the current one off. For the time being, this is the furthest I can go...Don't know if you can really tell what's going on, but you can see how badly the oil built up in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0651[1].jpg (93.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0652[1].jpg (96.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0653[1].jpg (95.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Supporting Vendor

Can't tell by the pic but hopefully the nut your speaking of is the clutch and not the variator. If it is the variator you will want to be extremely careful in removing it so that you don't totally wipe out the threads on the crankshaft. You will also need to find which seal is leaking and replace. If the oil is gearlube it will be the oil seal behind the clutch, if engine oil it will either be the oil seal behind the variator or the access cover o-ring. Again if the stripped nut is the variator nut use extreme caution removing and you will nees a 14mm die to recut the threads. If the threads are really messed up then the crankshaft will need replacement.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Contributor

Yep it's the clutch, no worries! (nut on right hand side of pic) I think it's just the head of the nut, not the thread itself.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Power User

reason i said sniff test is that gear oil has a very distinct, heavy lingering odor. I'm thinking that when you overfilled, you got a lot of it past the seal behind the clutch, the blackness of it would be from it mixing with rubber particles from the belt and clutch pad dust.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Contributor

What's interesting is that the manual and kart both call for .75L of the oil, and the fill line is marked at the thread line of the fill bolt...dunno if it was possible for me to overfill it in the first place.

Doesn't burning oil have a bluish tint to the smoke? Or is that only when burning in the engine itself? This smoke seems very white to me which makes me wonder if its burning rubber from the belt, hmmm....
Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

You deffinately have an oil leak under the cvt cover, when oil gets on the belt it will slip getting hot and smoke. You need to degrease the case then with the clutch and variator removed start the engine and look for the leak. Most of the time if the gearbox is overfilled it will burp the oil out the vent tube. I have worked on several ASW buggies that leaked inside the cvt cover and most of the time it is the o-ring under the access cover behind the variator.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Contributor

Ok, thanks! I will look at it once I get the chance. Where is this vent tube we are talking about? If it's on the top of the engine towards the rear, I do recall some bubbles coming out of a tube near the transmission. That was before I refilled the case with what it called for, though, and I haven't seen anything like that ever since. If I run the engine with the pulleys out, will it even be that easy to determine where the leak is (at least from your experience)?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

You have to remove the clutch and variator to see where it leaks at. If you leave them on first you will never clean the area properly and second you will nor be able to see the seals to tell if they leak, you'll just be guessing. If there is oil on the clutch it will have to be disassembled to properly clean.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Administrator

The Helix likes to leak at the engine seal behind the variator. Leaks enough that it gets on the belt, makes it slip, burns off, and smoke comes out the vent at the top. I need to fix the one on our Zircon as well. It just started getting weak and I feel sure that when I take the CVT cover off that is what I will find.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Contributor

Okay guys time for another update. We've gotten the necessary parts to put the CVT cover back together correctly along with a few other goodies (new air filter, spark plug, rollers, belt). Before we put it back together, it looked like it was indeed the seal behind the variator which was leaking as BuggyMaster points out. I tightened the two bolts holding the plate in place a bit, perhaps they have come a bit loose. So far, so good, nothing's leaking yet. With the new parts, I'm back up to 37mph from 33!