BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 01-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Lurker

Default Hello from Redding, CA

Hello, I found this forum while doing some google searches. I acquired an American Sportworks 2010 PM650 UTV, aka Landmaster, or Landstar side by side buggy. Photo attached. Has a 650cc v-twin engine that the previous owner blew up (a screw went through the engine). So the plan now is to swap in a better engine. So I may have some questions at some point. I don't see much talk about these online, so I hope I am in the right place!

Thanks!

Derek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small-UTV.jpg (53.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

Welcome to the addiction
Old 01-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Lurker

Thanks! Can't wait to get it running and play in the mud lol
Old 01-29-2019, 12:59 AM
Contributor

Welcome to the club LOL
Begin preparing excuses now that you can give you wife for the money your going to spend LOL
Old 01-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Lurker

Ha! Won't need those, she is just as anxious as I am to get it running, probably more so I'm just trying to figure out how much horsepower I can stick in this thing to give it a tad more speed and bark. Wife wants to 'race' her brother in law in his Gator.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

All American Landmaster UTV's are supplied with high torque low RPM engines by Robin, Subaru, and Honda all great engines but they are workhorses and not made for speed. Not saying they cannot improve for speed but unless done right it will be short lived, and to do it right will cost $$$$$$ as compared to an ATV style engine.You should be able to rebuild that engine with a cylinder and piston and possibly one or more valves is bent. You will at least have it running and able to drive which then will give you time to plan and decide what to transplant the engine for. Another thing to consider is the drives are geared really low for low end grunt.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 PM
Lurker

Thanks Sycarms, I took the hone to the Robin case last Sunday and no joy on the scored cylinder, it didn't clean up. So this block will need to be bored, to do it right. I'm holding off on investing any money in this lump, I may just part it out, or try to scrounge good used parts, and bore it out. I have my hands on a couple engines, what pans out still remains to be seen, potentially a spicy Kohler CH730 with some parts from Zach Kerber if I can fit it in there, or a Predator 670 harbor freight special, as a backup workhorse.

I have been doing my homework, and it seems the Baja SAE teams have already done a lot of the leg work on the transaxle and CVT stuff, lots of great info out there on these setups. Gears are available should that need changed, but I don't see any need, going by the math provided (attached) from CVTech. Basing my target RPM limit of around 5000RPM (for a stock flywheel) and the high ratio of the CVT being in the .41-.45 range (given the engine can pull it there!) upwards of 40-50MPH is about the practical limit, using even the highest ratio on the H-12 axle being 13.25:1. Lowest gear set is 10.15:1.

FWIW - Spicer has a pretty handy calculator based on ratio: https://spicerparts.com/calculators/...rpm-calculator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Math.jpg (19.5 KB, 3 views)