BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 05-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Lurker

Default Hello! Anyone have Murray Kilowatt Knowledge?

Hey all. Hope everyone is staying safe out there! We have an old Murray Kilowatt and it seems a bearing has gone out on the jack shaft. I can’t find much online about this thing but I’m having issues getting what I think is the old bearing off. It’s like it’s seized on. I was hoping maybe someone on here had some knowledge on this to see if I’m on the right track here. I can’t get the jack shaft out any further to try and bang it off with and hammer from what I’ve tried so far. I’ve sprayed it with WD40 several times as well. So any thoughts? Am I on the right track here? Pics attached.

Appreciate any and all help!

Dan
Old 05-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I actually bought one of those from Buggymaster! it's been a few years though and it got stole shortly there after. I didn't have to remove or replace the jackshaft- they usually have a snap ring on the bearing case to keep in the right position in the tube or the bearing has a flange that rests against an inner tubing. I'd check that first as they don't usually press them in. What's on the other end?
Old 05-02-2020, 10:00 PM
Lurker

Hey stud. Damn that sucks about someone stealing it! It’s a fun little cart. The other side has the clutch on it. And really based on how this it built I have no idea how you’d get that off. Here’s a pic.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Lurker

I loosened the bolt and pulled the clutch out a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6E9CE164-F63D-4666-827C-BED328E3295E.jpg (19.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-03-2020, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Does the shaft feel like it will move in & out of the retaining tube? Removing the clutch pulleys isn't that hard, looks like the shaft needs some rust removal!
The fact that the bearing is bad on the unloaded end means you'll need one @ the pulley side too. With the clutch pulley removed you can check to see if the variator rubber tips need replacing.Pretty sure those bearings are 5/8" bore w/ a small flange on one end (should be cheap to buy). See if with the pulley off that the shaft should slide out.
didn't get much video of the kilowatt but here's one you might like- comes in @ 2:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMako7VY_k

Last edited by metalstudman1; 05-03-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:11 PM
Lurker

Nice video. Looks like fun!

I’ll take another look tonight at your suggestions and see. But when I tried to slide the jackshaft through with the clutch pulled out for more clearance it was still getting stuck. Thanks again!