BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 08-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Lurker

Default Comet CVT driven pulley orientation

I don't have Comet parts, this is just a curiosity . I stumbled across some Utube videos' of various go carts getting converted from centrifugal clutch's to Comet CVT's - usually 30 or 40 series if identified at all.

What I noticed on some video's was during upshifting the belt would twist and get all out of alignment. Being familiar with CVT's I came to the conclusion that both pulley's had the fixed sheave positioned inboard and that's not right. That got me into more research. And that got me into the world of symmetrical and asymmetrical systems.

What I thought I learned was that Comet's 20 and 40 series were symmetrical. The belt was angled on both sides. The driven pulley fixed sheave was angled and would have to be oriented outboard and opposite of the drive pulley fixed sheave.
The 30 series was asymmetrical. The belt was angled on one side and near flat on the other. The driven pulley fixed sheave was near flat and would be oriented inboard along with the drive pulley fixed sheave.

This lead me to believe that only the 30 series can use the mounting plate because there's no room for the driven pulley's moveable sheave stuff against the plate. But that doesn't seem to be the case according to these video's.

And then I saw a video where some shop expert showed a 20 series driven pulley that was a symmetrical (he even gave the angle degree's of both sheave's. OK so far. But then he said that the pulley could be oriented inboard or outboard as long as the spring with the proper winding direction was used. WTH!!

Does anyone have some know how on these?