BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Contributor

Default Modifying CVT belt cover

Yesterday my son and his buddy took the HH to a nearby field and stretched its legs. I was sitting in my Baja on a nearby hill to keep an eye on them. All of a sudden, they stopped, got out and looked at the engine. So I drove down to them to investigate. Turns out they didn't have any drive in forward or reverse. I always carry a tow rope, so I towed them home. 1st thought was CVT belt, so I grabbed a flashlight and looked in a vent hole - sure enough, belt cords. I drive this buggy fairly long distances in the SoCal desert, so I looked at what would be the minimum tools needed to swap the belt in the field. I decided that it would be a royal pain in the rear.

So I came up with an Idea, What if I pull the cover off, and use a metal bandsaw to cut the cover into two pieces. Where I would cut it would be vertically through the hole that was originally for the kick starter. Then I would have a front and rear halves, and wouldn't have to worry about pulling the exhaust off . We never go through water, and there would only be a small slit between the two pieces. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Contributor

Cool

I only ever had the cover off of my first one a few years ago and can't remember how much meat it had , heavy , or flimsy . My concern would be how much reinforcement does it add to the rear arm of the case itself ? Couldn't you do an exhaust mod. to accomplish the same thing , two piece header pipe , slip joint , springs , etc. Like a bike exhaust .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 08-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Contributor

My exhaust is already like that. However, for support the muffler has a strap that goes to the kick start shaft. In the field, don't really want to wait for the exhaust to cool down, before I can work. Especially if the ride is right before dark.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Heavy Contributor

I have consider doing this. one of those "round to it" projects. for the same reason as yourself , making access easier. I know a scooter builder who does some pretty radical stuff. he removes the cover completely, uses a polished aluminum plate held off with spacers to act as a guard. there seems to be no effects as far as bracing or strength to the motor case. Basically the cover simply serves as protection from the elements and a guard to keep fingers and toes out. IMo there's no problem making a two piece unit.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:51 PM
Supporting Vendor

The only problem I see with cutting it is it wouls not have a tight enough seal for air o circulate cooling the cvt.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Contributor

You could get a thin piece of rubber to fill the cut line, trim it and glue it to the side that would be staying bolted on most of the time.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Contributor

Maybe for the center area you can get a T gasket of some sort. T rubber. Maybe a modified seal from a door bottom seal. Just a thought.

Guang Max 150
All stock but to be like Buggy 1 with all koso cvt.

Roketa 150
Complete tear down building port/polished 61mm NCY head, 62mm cylinder, A12 Cam, 28mm carb, straight through exhaust, 8 pole stator, possibly 2.5 stroker, painting frame, adding plastic including doors and rzr seats.