Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
Trouble with gy6 150 getting cranked - BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum
BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Trouble with gy6 150 getting cranked

Hey everyone, I'm working on another buggy with the gy6 150...having trouble getting it to crank, and when it finally does, can't give it any gas without dieing..got the buggy off a guy that had it sittin up for a while...so went ahead and ordered and out on
1. New 26mm carb
2. New fuel petcock
3. New fuel and vent lines
4. New manifold..
5. New plug

I have great blue spark when it turns over...anybody think it could be the valves out??? If so what do they need to be set at? Need some help bad!!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Heavy Contributor

.004 both sides
Old 06-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Lite Contributor

Thank ya
Old 06-18-2016, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Some are just pigheaded in the automatic choke department to where you just gotta let it sit there and idle long enough for the choke to start closing off and then you can slowly start feathering into the gas until its fully warm. Have seen this many, many times.

When valve adjustment helps the idle its because the valve seats have sunk a little which takes out any lash. You see this mostly on newer machines. Eventually the seats sink as much as they are going to go and your adjustment remains good. I do mine .003-.004 on both cause I like a quiet engine but some recommend more on the intake side. From your description I think you have a pigheaded choke situation.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Lite Contributor

I will recheck the choke/fuel enricher..but i have tried 4 different carbs and they all do the same thing...will these buggies crank but not run good if the timming is out one tooth or so???? Also, just found a rat nest in the pick-up coil/ cooling fan area on this buggy...lmbo!!!! They might have nawed up a wire or two, i will be pulling the magnento, pick-up coil off and check it all over real good in the next couple of days..
Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Lite Contributor

Buggymaster, i let this machine run for about 6-7 mins the other day, just at idle, and i never could feather the throttle any without dying out...i hoping i have a chewed up wire from the rats that got in this buggy.. I don't know on this one
Old 06-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Lite Contributor

I had this problem for me it ended up being the fuel petcock. replaced it and it ran smooth as a new buggy not sure if it is the same for you but worth a shot. as a test you could set up a simple gravity feed fuel source.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:55 PM
Administrator

What was the carb designed for ( the new one you put on)? Why not clean the existing carb which you know is jetted properly? Not likely an electrical problem. Typically an electrical problem is all or none. Not always the case but ysually. The other way to tell is give it a little shot of catb cleaner as someone else oedals the gas. If it takes...then you have fuel issue. If it kills it quicker than could have a too-much-fuel issue.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Lite Contributor

I tried to replace the fuel petcock and it still does the same thing...i went back with the same design as the original carb, only difference is this one is a 26 mm...still jetted the same..running a 105 main jet...had to replace because the original carb was missing in action...did not have one on it when i got the buggy...one thing i just found out!! This motor came off a helix 150, and the buggy i'm working on is a trailmaster....the original trailmaster motor, i was told, was blown up....so, the feller im working on the buggy for, replaced the motor with a helix gy6 150...i do see alot of cut wires and splices all over the place on this buggy, so that is why i was thinking i had an electrical issue too..he cut away all the plug in's and has wire nuts on the wires....so, i guess i need to find a helix 150 wiring harness??? Any ideas???
Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Lite Contributor

Diaphram based carb that i put on this buggy..
Old 06-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Well one thing that is significant is the Helix is one of the few buggies that uses a DC based CDI box. I am curious how all that is wired. Let me think on this a bit.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Any chance you have a timing light? Its great for knowing if you have spark or not while the machine is running. You simply point it on the floor and give it gas and if the spark dies first and then the engine you know you have an electrical issue.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Contributor

Where did you find a 26mm carb? ive only seen one and it came off of a carter brothers mid size 150.
HH250SS..RIP (IRS donor for the crossfire)
HammerHead 150
Gs Moon buggy 150
Many other random parts buggys (still never have what im needing tho :/ )
Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Lite Contributor

Talking

BuggyMaster, I FOUND A WIRING SCHEMATIC OF A HELIX 150 AND A TRAILMASTER 150, AND LAST NIGHT I SAT DOWN AND STARTED ALL OVER WITH THE WIRING ON THIS BUGGY...AND THE TRAILMASTER AND THE HELIX THAT I'M WORKING ON ARE BOTH DC FIRE CDI BUGGIES...IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 1 1/2 HOURS AND I HAD IT RUNNING GOOD...THE GUY THAT I'M WORKING ON THIS CART FOR HAD IT WIRED ALL MESSED UP!!! HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TRIGGER WIRE, OFF THE STATOR, WIRED INTO ANYTHING...AND ON THIS CART THE BLACK WITH A RED STRIPE COMING OUT OF THE STATOR, DOESN'T GO TO ANYTHING...WELL, HE HAD IT AS A GROUND WIRE, AND HE TIED IT INTO 3 DIFFERENT WIRES!!! ALSO, HE HAD THE CHOKE/FUEL ENRICHER WIRED TO BOTH A GROUND WIRE FROM THE FRAME AND A GOUND TO THE BATTERY!!! IT IS SUSPOSED TO WIRE UP TO THE YELLOW WIRE OUT OF THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR AND THE GREEN WIRE THAT GOES TO THE 10AMP RESISTER ON THIS BUGGY...I DON'T EVEN SEE HOW THE BUGGY WOULD START AT ALL IN THE BEGINNING....BUT, SHE RUNS LIKE A CHAMP NOW, THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS...YALL DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I REALLY APPRECIATE IT ALL....
Old 06-22-2016, 07:27 AM
Lite Contributor

BEEFKING69, I FOUND THE 26mm CARB ON AMAZON I BELIEVE...THEY HAD SOME THAT I LOOKED AT AND, I THINK I SEEN SOME ON EBAY TOO..I HAVE PUT THE 26mm ON THE LAST 4 BUGGIES I HAVE WORKED ON AND THEY DO REALLY GOOD.. THEY USUALLY COME WITH A 105-110 MAIL JET IN THEM...NOW ON 3 OF THE BUGGIES I HAD TO REJET THE CARB, BECAUSE THEY HAD SOME MODS DONE LIKE: HIGH FLO AIR INTAKE, HOT COIL, ADVANCED CDI, PERFORMANCE VARIATOR WITH 11 GRAIN SLIDERS, MAIN CLUTCH SPRING CHANGED OUT, DIFFERENT CLUTCHES, AND MODIFIED EXHAUST SYSTEMS..SO WITH THOSE WE WENT WITH ANYWHERE FROM A 115-125...JUST HAD TO PLAY AROUND WITH THEM AND SEE WHERE THEY RAN THE BEST AT...
Old 06-23-2016, 01:43 AM
Contributor

Engine/butterfly side true 26mm ID? ive seen alot advertised as 26mm but they were really 24mm
HammerHead 150
Gs Moon buggy 150

Last edited by BEEFKING69; 06-23-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Lite Contributor

True 26mm
Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Contributor

How much?
HammerHead 150
Gs Moon buggy 150
Old 06-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFKING69 View Post
How much?
Just go to Amazon and put 26mm Carburetor in the search. Lots of them to choose from starting at $20.79 and up.
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD
Old 06-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Lite Contributor

I paid somewhere around 30 bucks for it
Old 02-24-2017, 06:16 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony View Post
BuggyMaster, I FOUND A WIRING SCHEMATIC OF A HELIX 150 AND A TRAILMASTER 150, AND LAST NIGHT I SAT DOWN AND STARTED ALL OVER WITH THE WIRING ON THIS BUGGY...AND THE TRAILMASTER AND THE HELIX THAT I'M WORKING ON ARE BOTH DC FIRE CDI BUGGIES...IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 1 1/2 HOURS AND I HAD IT RUNNING GOOD...THE GUY THAT I'M WORKING ON THIS CART FOR HAD IT WIRED ALL MESSED UP!!! HE DIDN'T HAVE THE TRIGGER WIRE, OFF THE STATOR, WIRED INTO ANYTHING...AND ON THIS CART THE BLACK WITH A RED STRIPE COMING OUT OF THE STATOR, DOESN'T GO TO ANYTHING...WELL, HE HAD IT AS A GROUND WIRE, AND HE TIED IT INTO 3 DIFFERENT WIRES!!! ALSO, HE HAD THE CHOKE/FUEL ENRICHER WIRED TO BOTH A GROUND WIRE FROM THE FRAME AND A GOUND TO THE BATTERY!!! IT IS SUSPOSED TO WIRE UP TO THE YELLOW WIRE OUT OF THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR AND THE GREEN WIRE THAT GOES TO THE 10AMP RESISTER ON THIS BUGGY...I DON'T EVEN SEE HOW THE BUGGY WOULD START AT ALL IN THE BEGINNING....BUT, SHE RUNS LIKE A CHAMP NOW, THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS...YALL DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I REALLY APPRECIATE IT ALL....
By any chance, can you help me out with a wiring picture, I bought one exactly with the same issues like yours. all the wiring is wrong.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Lite Contributor

Do you need the trailmaster diagram or the helix diagram??
Old 03-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony View Post
Do you need the trailmaster diagram or the helix diagram??

Helix
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

You can download the entire service manual from American Landmaster. You want the model 6150 manual.