BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Lurker

Default Can someone tell me what this hose is?

I had been looking for a nice used Helix but instead found this 150cc mini buggy online new for just a little over what used Helix's are going for and since it it looked very similar to the Helix's design I took a chance and ordered it. So far so good. I put it together last night but when I was looking over the engine I saw this one hose that was hanging free so I plugged it into a nipple coming off the air intake since that looked like where it should go but the engine kept dying and stalling as soon as I pressed the accelerator and a funny smell was coming from the engine. I immediately pulled the hose loose and let it hang free and that solved the problem (that I created, lol) and it is running great now with no stalling but I must know what this hose is for and did I overlook somewhere else it is supposed to be or is it designed to hang free? There is a hose coming from the cylinder head attached to a T-connector with the other branch going to the crankcase and then that T-connector is connected to another T-connector forming an "H" pattern with one of those branches going to the exhaust manifold and the other being the mystery hose. Thank you for any help you can give me!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3708.jpg (91.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3710 copy.jpg (90.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3711.jpg (91.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3712 copy.jpg (94.3 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by replayreb; 11-07-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Power User

from the looks of the layout, that's the "open" end of the head and crankcase vent hoses. by plugging it back into the system, at some point you're putting the outgoing pressure back into the system and creating a positive pressure in the wrong direction that stops the fuel flow. It's set up correctly as-is with it hanging open. BTW, not a bad looking 150, wondering how much they get for them?

Last edited by x-bird; 11-08-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM

I agree with x-bird, hose is right n buggy is too! looks like a good purchase!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Lurker

Thank you very much for the replies. I had another problem that I finally solved tonight. I was having trouble starting the engine; it would turn over and over but no spark. I checked everything and then tried it again and it would start right up. I would let it idle for a while and rev it every now and then shut it off and then it wouldn't start again! Ugh! I fiddled with everything and then it would start and run great and then I would shut it off and it wouldn't restart. I was pulling my hair out in frustration. I googled these engines and someone somewhere said that the engine kill switch can sometimes have a short in it so when I finally got it cranked again I pulled and tugged on the wires near the ignition and sure enough the engine died. Yes! I was getting close! Turns out it wasn't the kill switch but instead the spade connector for the black wire that connects to the ignition switch had wiggled it's way loose from the white molex connector either during shipping or unpacking (you can see the connector near the ignition switch in this picture) I pushed it all the way in and it started right up. Just to make sure that's what it was I pulled it back out and sure enough the starter will turn the engine over no problem without it connected but the back wire is what is needed to get a spark. Whew! I've been working the past two weeks straight while putting this thing together late at night the past two nights and tomorrow is my first day off so I am really looking forward to finally be able to take it out for a spin! Thank you again for your help!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Lurker

Almost forgot...this is where I ordered the kart from:

http://www.zpoweroffroad.com/Details.asp?PrtID=34
or
http://www.highrevpower.com/Details.asp?PrtID=34

It is a GK150-S from zPower Off-Road aka High Rev Power. They are the same entity and import them directly as far as I can tell. If you are in the Dallas-Fort Worth area they can be had for $1299 + 8% sales tax but if you order online they are $1499 with no tax and free shipping so after all is said and done it only costs a little less than a hundred dollars to have it shipped to your door outside of Texas. I almost went for the GK150-N for only $300 more which has lights, mirrors and a horn. It is same as the large-bodied kart reviewed right here on Buggy Masters but it is too wide to fit in my garage along with our two cars and besides I preferred the look of the GK150-S anyway plus I'm going to add my own lights.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Good buggy, good deal plus i personally like the stripped down versions better! like a blank slate 2 work with!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Under normal circumstances, the nipple on the air box is a line that goes from the nipple to the connection on the valve cover. All that other BS must be something they have added to reduce emissions. Never seen one like that but I have noticed an effort from the china manufacturers to lighten emissions.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Lurker

Yes, it looks like your right. I poked a little screwdriver through that nipple on the front of the airbox and it is hollow so that is where it goes. It is not necessary or else it would have been clamped on there firmly but apparently these Chinese mini buggy manufaturers are trying to appease the U.S. EPA. They have taken all the vent lines and spliced them all together and rerouted them back to the airbox intake so any emissions are recombusted. Thanks for your help!