BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Contributor

Default Do I need a bigger chain if I change Axle Sprocket?

Hey Guys,

Looking to mess around with my axle sprocket on my carbide and go from the stock 32T to a 39T. I've found the sprocket, but do I need a longer chain?

Is there a noticeable increase in torque?

Also, if I need a longer chain, anybody know what type and length?
Dr. Pulley variator, 10g sliders, 1500 rpm clutch spring, 39T drive sprocket, A12 camshaft, Intake with Uni Filter, 126 main jet, 38 pilot, performance CDI, performance coil, iridium plug. Now a lean wheel spinnin' machine.

Last edited by Danp; 10-08-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Contributor

Depending on how much larger you go, you may need a new chain. You can also add a second master link to extend the chain.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Most of these buggies come with a 520 or 530 chain. Be sure when you extend the chain to check for bad or tight links. Honestly, instead of trying to match a chain to what you have, buy a new one. They aren't real expensive and most times you can get 2 chains out of one box. In this case, ebay is your friend for bike chains, which at minimum come with 100 links. You could also try places like tractor supply if it has a 530/#50 chain.

This is a good read on chains and sprockets and their sizes.

There are mixed views on oring chains on off road vehicle, I personally don't think they are needed as long as you lube it every ride.

P.S. You will need a chain breaker tool since you can't buy a direct fit chain, but they are cheap from harbor freight. Also opt for clip type master links, MUCH MUCH easier to remove if you need to change sprockets, remove links, etc.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'

Last edited by Masteryota; 10-08-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Contributor

Along with master, I am not a big fan of extending a chain with multiple master links. 99% of the time, when there is a chain problem, it occurs at the master link. Sometimes, all it takes is to hit a twig just right and it can pop off the master link clip, so why double you problem area. As far as o-ring chains, in reality most of our little buggys do not get the miles put on them in comparison to a dirt bike. So if lubed properly a good quality non o-ring chain will probably last the life of the buggy.

Also, if you replace the chain, remember to check the chain tightness after a ride or two. Unless you buy an uber expensive pre stretched chain, the chain will start to stretch almost immdiately and need to be readjusted.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Contributor

Thanks Guys. I'm having a hard time sourcing a sprocket in Canada. The two places I've found in the US do not ship to Canada.
Dr. Pulley variator, 10g sliders, 1500 rpm clutch spring, 39T drive sprocket, A12 camshaft, Intake with Uni Filter, 126 main jet, 38 pilot, performance CDI, performance coil, iridium plug. Now a lean wheel spinnin' machine.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys2 View Post
Along with master, I am not a big fan of extending a chain with multiple master links. 99% of the time, when there is a chain problem, it occurs at the master link.
99% of the time, when there is a chain problem, it is a result of poor maintenance (worn out chain) or improper installation of the master link (clip on backwards or over stressing the clip when putting it on). I am not saying it can't or wont happen, but in the last 25 years of woods riding and mx on motorcycles I have never had a master link fail. I always keep an extra master link in my field box, that is probably why I haven't had a problem with one.

ps. Dan, you can't just add a master link. You will need at least another link to extend the chain. Some hardware stores and tractor supply stores carry small lengths of chain. If you are afraid of the clip type master link you can get the type that you stake or peen the pins. There again, proper intallation is key. All this is assuming your chain is still in good shape.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Contributor

Still can't find a sprocket anywhere. Didn't think it would be this difficult.

Would it be easier to source transmission gears instead?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM

What about universal or weld on sprockets. I would think if you can match the inner diameter close enough you could drill the holes for the flange and open the center if needed. I know it isn't a perfect bolt on match, but it is still easier than doing trans gear changes.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Contributor

Yup, thought of that. If I could get the pitch and centre whole to match, then drilling out the mounting holes would be easy.