BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Lurker

Default Yerf dog spiderbox wiring hell

I recently bought a yerf dog spiderbox with a smoked motor, I bought a new GY6 off of Amazon, put it all together with a few upgrades (171cc big bore, A9 cam, 10g rollers) So I've got the new motor all put together and back in the buggy and I'm now back at the issue I was ignoring when I bought this thing. The wiring harness is hacked to death. Cracked and broken connectors, cut wires, electrical tape everywhere. I'd like to clean it up myself but without biting the bullet and getting a new wiring harness I'm not sure if that's possible in it's current state. I've attached a pic so you all can see what I'm dealing with. Any advice and/or links to where I can get a good harness greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201012_204339174.jpg (97.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-13-2020, 09:08 AM
Heavy Contributor

that's a typical mess often seen on these old yerfs. The wiring was sloppy and problematic at best from the factory. Though there are wiring harnesses available, they are generic and built to accommodate various makes and models of buggys. The color coding will not match, the connectors won't match and there are circuits included for various accessories. it's just as difficult to marry a generic harness to work as it is to repair the existing harness. Your best bet is to start from scratch and create a new harness. this is a schematic of the yerf system if you tackle one circuit at a time. IE... starting, ignition , charging etc, it is not difficult. Remove the existing harness as intact as possible to use as a guide for lengths, routing etc. Use no less than 10g for all starting and battery connections and no less than 16g for all others. Delete the brake safety switch as it is problematic and really isn't needed, it allows the buggy to crank only when the brake pedal is depressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spiderbox%20wiring%20diagram.jpg (54.9 KB, 7 views)