BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Lurker

Default Crossfire 150 with issues

Hi everyone
I just bought a Crossfire 150, and it needs some TLC. When I bought it, the issues I was aware of: Needed a new clutch, electrical lights needed to be redone, no emergency brake cable, no seat harnesses (actually, they looked like they were taken off a backpack). But it did start right up, once moving, it had power (or if it was only my son driving it). But I haven't really taken it out of the garage for any extended rides, just trying to get it all working first. I am not overly mechanical, but I am kinda handy (especially if things are spelled out in laymans terms).

I have now replaced the clutch (took off the exhaust, case, belt - replaced whole clutch, and reinstalled everything). The old one was all blue, and the inside of the case was pretty dirty. I've replaced everything the way it was, the only problem is now the engine won't catch. Still turns over, but won't actually catch and run. Any thoughts on trouble shooting?

The new harnesses have been bought and installed. The emergency brake cable is on order and I don't foresee any issues with install.

The lighting system is not working due to unconnected wires. Thinking of upgrading to a LED system (including brake light). Suggestions?

Finally, while not on the immediate plans, I do want to put in a reverse kit. How difficult is this?

Any other upgrades one would suggest? I'm not at this time looking for speed, as my son is still pretty young.

Right now it's sitting in my garage, with my son bugging me to get it running and up to the cabin ASAP. So any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190515_193718.jpg (97.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 PM
Lurker

My experience with the Crossfire is the carb needs to be really clean, especially the main jet. You can find the jet under the bowl.

Have you tried using starting fluid to see if you can at least get it to fire? Have you checked to see if the plug is firing?

Don't to forget (like I did when I first got mine) to turn the kill switch on? Also, some models required the brake pedal to be pressed. Do the brakes work? If there isn't enough pressure in the system the switch on the master cylinder will not work. A jumper wire across the terminals will bypass it.
Tachometer
28mm Pumper Carb
Redneck Intake (6") and UNI Filter
HP CDI, Coil and Plug Wire
Iridium Plug
1932 AHOOGA Horn
A12 Cam
P&P Head
58.5mm Piston/Cylinder Big Bore Kit
LED Light Bar, Head Lights, See Me Lights
Cigarette lighter w/2 USB charging ports
Oil Catch can
Frame Powder Coated
All Nuts, Bolts, Screws and Washers Replaced w/Stainless steel
39 MPH Top Speed
Old 06-11-2019, 05:24 AM
Contributor

Make sure the valves are adjusted correctly.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Lurker

Appreciate the advice.

Kept trying it a couple days ago while troubleshooting, and it still wouldn't catch, but I figured I was killing the battery by trying it so much. Put it on a charger. Went out today, and it started with no issues. So I can only assume that was the problem.

Have a couple 18w Floods and Spots coming today, and going to wire them up. I think that the old lights were 35w, so I don't foresee an issue with this (as I still have the stock stator).

Yesterday I got the emergency brake cable, so that will be installed today.

Hopefully by the weekend everything will be up and running. Then I can look at upgrades (open to suggestions, although I would think that a reverse kit is high on the priority list?)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Supporting Vendor

You have to spend money to save money. First find a service manual for the GY6 engine online which has the AC volt system. This will give the necessary information for you to make checks of the engine and electrical system. There are probably manuals if you search on this forum. Two must haves you need are a compression gauge and a decent volt/ohm meter. These two tools will will keep you from buying parts you don't need. Most of these buggies have a kill switch. Make sure kill switch is not in kill mode, if so you will not have a spark. Three things you must have are air, good fuel and good blue spark. Adding reverse will require a complete kit and will include the gear box, longer output shaft, cable and shifter which will need to be welded in position.