BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 01-08-2020, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Another "Franken Buggy"

Here's a buggy built from junk/scrap I built over the summer that's a little easier to get in & out of. Just now trying to get the wore out Honda trx200sx to breath some life again- had to order a stator and pulse generator, very weak spark right now. It fired up but wouldn't rev up much or restart very well.I went all fancy with the stick shift- the button on the top is for reverse. I also made a tailgate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg karts 018.jpg (72.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg karts 019.jpg (64.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg karts 020.jpg (69.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg karts 021.jpg (66.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg karts 022.jpg (65.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg karts 023.jpg (69.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg karts 025.jpg (59.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg karts 030.jpg (57.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 01-30-2020, 05:57 PM
Power User

Cool, looks like a workhorse buggy. like that single arm rear setup, nice and simple.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
Cool, looks like a workhorse buggy. like that single arm rear setup, nice and simple.
I built something different because many of the guests here are getting wider/bigger and complain about getting in & out of the Spiderbox (weight capacity is only about 350 lbs.), so this is a somewhat compromise on that criteria with what was laying around. I should get it running very soon to see if it meets the needs. I made the Franken-buggy #1 for wider individuals but it has terrible in & out access ,race car style.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Got the thing running and had my wife get a short video of it. This is the part of a build that gives me the satisfaction, to know for sure that all that mental capacity wasn't a total waste. The fact that this is all built from junk/scrap not much to lose!!! Little money expended, just my time and consumables. Now comes the fun part, tweeking it to make it a useful fun toy. Still have lots to do- rust removal (sand blasting),finish fabbing the doors,roof,windshield,hood,body panels and all the electrical system.I love recycling old used metal into something that functions
https://youtu.be/1oHY5QNXXy4
Old 03-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Supporting Vendor

I had a 200 about 3 years ago for repairs that needed the stator which Honda said no longer available but searched their dealer data base and found only one dealer in Kansas City who had one on the shelf he thought he would never get rid of. The next 200 I got in for repairs about a year ago I ended up sending to Ricks Electric for a redo.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

There are lots of stators available now, from parted out stock to aftermarket ones ranging from $50.-$350 (Ricks doesn't have any unless I sent it in for a rewire). I ended up buying a stock old one off E-bay ($64.) with the hopes it was good- I tested the original one and it was only off by 40 ohms, that was just enough for poor spark. The replacement tested with-in 4 ohms of the one in the Spiderbox. I figured the pulser was bad but it ohm-ed out the same as the other engines. It definitely works and puts out 13.2 volts on the charging side-so all is good! I still have a good one on one of the other engines still assembled that needs a new jug & piston as a back-up if needed. I still have 5 engines here, but always looking for others for the future if anyone has one they want to sell. I have a small oil leak coming out the pull start? I'm going to keep an eye on it before I pull it apart again.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Supporting Vendor

That pull start cover has to be sealed or crap gets inside and trapped in seal. Had a customer with a 250sx that was leaking pretty good but customer did not want to put the money in to split case and replace. I have a narrow pointed pick I put under the outer seal lip and irrigated with break clean as I moved the pick. After he ran it for about 15 minutes we looked at seal and leak was just about gone. Silicone recoil cover and secure.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Figured I up-date my progress:
I got the roof on it, the rear fenders,rear storage framing,tailgate latch,back-up/engine repair light,brake light,headlights,dash & 90% of the wiring is complete(just have final connections left to lighting).Scored a set of used Mini Cooper seats for $50. that replaced the raggedy free ones I started with! Engine can be worked on easily from all sides.Got it running and it functions well. It's taking on a look of it's own!!!! For something totally created from scrap material it's functioning the way I wanted. It's sooo easy to get in & out of (removable steering helps even more) Still have lots of fabricating/brain farts left to complete. My recycle innovation skills are getting honed with this project with little to NO cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankenbuggy 2 001.jpg (53.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg frankenbuggy 2 002.jpg (55.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg frankenbuggy 2 003.jpg (49.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg frankenbuggy 2 004.jpg (58.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg frankenbuggy 2 005.jpg (53.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg frankenbuggy 2 007.jpg (52.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg frankenbuggy 2 010.jpg (47.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg frankenbuggy 2 011.jpg (47.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

Lookin good !
Old 06-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

This buggy has been down since the end of April due to a cracked/broken intake manifold. I used my mini lathe to fabricate a billet intake that WON'T fail in the future. I had a learning curve on the lathe since I haven't used one since 1978. It turned out better than expected (based of my rusty skills)- It does exactly what it should I got to make it slightly long to clear the starter better & make adjusting the carb easier.
The hardest part of the fab was using my drill press as a mill- I could only remove a few thousands on each pass to get one end milled to a 15 degree angle. The rest of the project was pretty easy, just figuring out what to do & when (it took 6hrs). The pic's show what I started with and the final outcome. Franken-buggy #2 is now up & running again. This buggy though it looks strange does everything we need it to on our trails & provides easy access and comfortable ride with plenty of reliable power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda TRX200 billet intake 004.jpg (30.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shop 003.jpg (34.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Honda TRX200 billet intake 001.jpg (37.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Honda TRX200 billet intake 002.jpg (34.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Honda TRX200 billet intake 003.jpg (31.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-08-2021, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

After installing the intake I noticed it angled towards the drivers side which isn't an issue but I couldn't figure out how I got it that way. So I decided to make another intake(only took 4hrs this time) and pay closer attention to my layout.Having a spare intake isn't a problem and I'm trying to develop my turning skills, there's a pic of the newest one installed. I also added a larger brake rotor to help stop the 25" tires better,I had to make an adapter. I have a new master cylinder coming as I was having to pump the brakes to stop fast (no leaks).I rebuilt the whole IRS set-up with new bearings & a new drive chain (IRS hasn't been overhauled in over 16 yrs)I got the seat belts,roof rack,front fender cowl & hitch bumper installed.I'll get full shots of the buggy soon (too much rain)It's almost complete!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (30.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (39.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (38.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (41.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (52.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

It stopped raining long enough to get some pic's of my work horse buggy. This is the one we'll haul all the trail clearing tools & have a seat for a helper!I.ll get a video of it in action as so as I can get someone here to take it.
I still want to make a glove box & possibly cover the sides next to the seats just for more briar protection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Franken-buggy #2 001.jpg (55.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Franken-buggy #2 005.jpg (58.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Franken-buggy #2 006.jpg (60.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Franken-buggy #2 007.jpg (52.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Franken-buggy #2 008.jpg (52.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Franken-buggy #2 009.jpg (43.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Franken-buggy #2 010.jpg (57.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Got the neighbor to shoot a short video before it rains again.
https://youtu.be/q-nhmCdtZ1M