BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Lurker

Post Road legal buggy lighting

Hi Im making my buggy road legal... and at the moment it doesn't have any lights on it at all. Can anyone help with either a wiring diagram specifically for the lights or any tips for me? (Needed- Horn, front and rear turn signals, headlights, tail and brake lights) Im only 16 and hoping to use the buggy when i am 17 The buggy has a modded 150cc GY6 thanks Conor
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

What type/model/make of your buggy?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Lurker

its a single seater coolster 150cc GY6 buggy
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Contributor

Welcome Conor (from across the pond), first question is have you checked on what is "required" to be street legal ? It differs from state to state over here, before you spend any money, check on local laws (example for a golf cart below).
From Google i found this http://www.coolster.com/GK-6150/GK-6150.html that seems to show an existing electrical system :
CDI ignition system ensures dependable starting and puts out consistent spark at all RPM for optimal engine performance. Electric Starting provides much easier control and handling and gives the rider more options in the event of a stall.

Golf cart kit - http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=31051
It's time to get your cart ready for the road! As more and more states, cities and communities are legalizing golf carts for use on the street we've put together a package that will help you get up to speed on some of the legal requirements.

Kit includes:

Headlights
Taillights
Brake Lights
Turn Signals
Reflectors
Rearview Mirrors
Seat Belts
Residents of LA, NM, CT, ME, NH, VA, CO, UT, NJ and NY, you WILL need to purchase a Windshield Wiper (30960) and Speedometer/Odometer (30823) in order to meet your states minimum legal requirements. Remember this kit only contains some of the basic requirements your cart will need to drive legally on the road. Be sure to check your local ordinances to make sure your golf cart meets the legal requirements.

you can probably buy each of the components separately and get just what you need.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Lite Contributor

Sond to me like a lot of work just to make it street legal
but it will be good when its done i bet
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Lurker

hi, yes i have found out what is road legal, and it can be registered as a motorcycle. I need
Horn
Headlights(hi/Lo beam)
Brake lights
Tail lights
Front and rear indicators
Mirrors
Has anyone done this or have a diagram to help with the switches/wiring? Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Since we can't tag our buggies here like that I doubt there would be a diagram to meet your needs. Your GY6 would need a larger stator to power these additional items. I'm sure I could draw up an electric schematic but the cost to buy all these electrical items would be very expensive too.If this is the same Coolster in your other thread- a motorcycle engine transplant with the wiring harness would give you everything you want & need without any further wiring or parts. Buy a used/wrecked running motorcycle and do the transplant! By the way- reverse is very important if driving on public roadways!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Supporting Vendor

The 150 coolsters depending on year of mfg. used a 4 pole or 6 pole stator. The 4 pole won't handle more then 35 watts total as well as the 6 pole. If you are required to run hi/lo headlights this will be a bit much for the stator to handle so you will need to upgrade this as well.