BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Lurker

Default New Sunl buggy owner & I admit I am clueless

Live in the Houston area. Just picked up my 1st Sunl buggy. I am not home yet even though it has been shipped and arrived at my house. I have been told in needs an engine. Any advice where I can source parts would be so grateful. I bought it as a father/son building project. I hope I have not gotten over my head. I am great at building things but when all my friends were building engines. I was offshore working. I think I got some catching up to do...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5813.jpg (17.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5815.jpg (13.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5818.jpg (20.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5816.jpg (21.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Supporting Vendor

Welcome to the addiction. That is an older Sunl which probably has the external reverse unit on it as well as the series B GY6 engine with the 2 bolt valve cover. The series B will be tough to find stock parts for and you can forger about performance parts to fit it. If not interested in performance you can buy a complete engine of good quality for around $325.00- 375.00. There are cheaper ones out there but buyer beware for there are several factories in China building the GY6 engine and some are good but some are bad as far as the quality of parts they use. If your looking to build the engine with a bit more power you can buy the series A short case already bored out for the larger cylinders. This route you can either go with a stock or stroked crank, performance head and cam. These engines are not hard to build but don't waist your time if it is the series B engine.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Power User

i just put up an engine up for sale in the classifieds ... out of a sunl project that i am going another route with. A series engine with a bigger valve head already installed. May just be the ticket for you.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Lurker

SYCARMS
The person who sold it to me said it was a 2005 150/250 Sunl model. Guessing he did not know since it did not have an engine. Is it possible to 250 engine in it? Looking at the pics that my wife sent me it looks like the gear box is there.
"external reverse unit on it as well as the series B GY6 engine" You are talking about the engine itself. I know in the 1st pic i was sent it showed the gear shift between the seats. I am not home yet so do not know. If you could give me some more details on exactly what kind of engine I would need that would be perfect. This cart is for my kids so i will be not "super charging it in any way" a stock motor I think would be enough to start with.

x-bird
I am interested if it is the one I need to get my buggy running. what is the price? last thing I want to spend alot money on an engine and find out it is not the correct one for my buggy. this would end up pissing off the wife and i could end up sleeping the buggy.

I am sure I will need alot of parts to get the buggy up in running. carb, lights, wiring.. and many other things that i will not know until i get start working on it.

thanks for all the help and please keep all the infomation coming.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Power User

once you get back, post up some bigger pictures. video of the engine i have is in my post in the classified's section. you have an engine in yours, as i can see the fan in the one pic, a little tough to see much more. either they pulled the jug and head off it if it was a 150, (it'd be visible otherwise) or it's a 250 because the jug and head on those stick just about straight up. Not sure, but some of the leftover chassis or suspension parts i won't be using may even work for yours.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Lurker

x-bird
thanks for all the help. i was told when i bought it that it needed an engine. i also looked at the pics that my wife sent me and thought.. sure looks like there is an engine there to me. need to get some better pics, will call the kids, they know how to work an iphone like a pro. could be that when the buyer said it needed an engine we meant it has one but it just needed reworked.
i did see the video on your engine. nice.
do not know what parts i will need, but i know for certain that i will need alot of electrical. lights and wiring.. the ones on my buggy has seen better days.
thanks again
Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Lurker

Default X-Bird.. here are some better pics

Better pics of what I currently have.
what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5829.JPG (41.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5832.JPG (41.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Power User

It was a 150 .. at some point in its life ...jug and head are gone, as is the reverse gearbox. any loose parts come with it?
Old 11-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Lurker

X-bird
Well it looks like I am in need of your motor and any other goodies that you may having laying around and do not mind departing with. Please post or email me what you may also have available beside the engine. My email address is wilsonsubsea@yahoo.com I am sure you have shipped a motor before. I live in Richmond,TX 77406. What do you think the shipping charges will be
Old 12-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Lurker

Default Prep work.

Son and I have almost removed everything from the buggy.got start prepping it for paint. The boy wants a mix of firehouse red and flat black. Engine and a load of other parts are on the way...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Heavy Contributor

good luck on your project!
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Lurker

Default Ready for sandblasting

Taking her to get sandblasted so she will look sweet after painted. Son and I are still clueless on what we are doing but we are having the best time working on the buggy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Lurker

Default started with one.. now got 2.

took my red one to a friend to help me get it finished. ended up taking home a black one. black one works great and it will help me get the red one running. still looking for speedos for both of them. can not find anything online. on driver side of rear axle is a assembly full of magnets and a 3 cable wire that hooks up to the back of the speedo. speedo has 6 wires. it looks like it gets 3 of teh wires from the assmbly on the back axle and the other 3 wires comes from the black electrical box. would really like to get these speedos running and not replace them with something else. but i will if i can not find the correct parts. if anyone knows please let me know. thank you.

have 90% of the parts to finish the red ones. hopefully i will get it running next month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6352.JPG (35.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

I have Kinroad looking to see if they have any gauges and pickups in their warehouse. It could take a few day's for him to get back to me. I'll let you know when I hear back.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Lurker

SYCARMS
That would be great. Both my buggies have a mangetic sensor mounted on the rear axle. I finally found a place that sells the orginal parts, I have speedometer sensors and new gauges in my shopping cart. I will hold off a few days until i hear from you. I know there is no point to have a speedo on these things, they are jut for fun. But when you son asks you to fix the speedometer on the buggy because he saw it came with one, a dad has to do what a dad has to do. I am his superman, his mechanic. When i am home he would rather sit in the garage and help me then room the streets with his friends. i can not let my little man down. I am his biggest fan...
Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

I know exactly what your saying. Cherish the moment for before you know it they grow up and your not needed as much so it will seem anyway, they still do but in different ways. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$ lol.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Amen!!!!