BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Lurker

Default 125cc Honda Clone has failed twice in 1 month

I have a 125cc Honda Clone attached to a Tao Tao ATK125a mini go-kart and it has failed twice in the last 1 month. This is a relatively new kit that I bought from a local dealer in the DFW metroplex. The first time it failed I took it back and had their shop work on it since the parts warranty was still in effect. Now I'm on my own...

The nature of both failures is similar. One minute we're driving it without issue. We stop the engine. Then we try to re-start and it tries to turn but nothing fires up. When I had the shop look at it, they said that they had to replace the valves and adjust the timing. They also said there was a compression failure. Apparently my daughter killed it without realizing it (or pushing it very hard). I'll reserve my speech about why people shouldn't buy cheap Chinese crap for another thread.

But anyway, I am curious if anyone has ever attempted a repair on a similar or the same engine and any lessons learned or helpful links to share. I also am considering trying to find a Japanese/Honda "actual" (good quality no BS) motor to put in its place so I won't feel like I have to play so soft on it. But I cannot find out what is the motor that was cloned to even price out that option.

Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Lurker

Additional info: this is a 3 speed semi-auto transmission with reverse.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Welcome Dirtman. I originally thought you were talking about a horizontal shaft engine like you get at harbor Freight. But your update leads me to think otherwise.

Can you post a pic to let us see what it is you have? Or at least a link to the engine trans combo? Thanks
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 09-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Lurker

Here are some pics.

Last edited by dirtman; 09-14-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Lurker

I have had that same kart for several years now and my kids love it. We had no problems with the original engine but my kids were not good at shifting so they just ran around in second gear. I ended up replacing the engine with this automatic version they put in the Tao Tao ATVs. It was a direct bolt in and all the wires hooked up correctly too. It is automatic and still has reverse.

This place is in Dallas and where I got my engine.

http://www.eagleatvparts.com/product...57feaac8ae5b75
Old 09-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Lurker

Hey thanks for the tip. If it drops in and bolts on like it belongs then that does sound like a cool option.

Update: After messing around with it I was able to get it started. There is a cable from the gas connected to a little gas or idle knob (not sure) up by the air intake and it was not moving at all when I stepped the gas. Engine would rev faster but this deal wouldn't turn. If I tweaked it manually on a cold start it seemed to do the trick. I'll mess with the cable tension to get that fixed and hopefully won't have this problem going forward.