BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Lurker

Default Carter 150 lean and sputter

Hello a gain guys, i have a carter 15011r and its running extremely lean and sputters during 1/4 to 3/4 throttle . i have been having this problem for a while now and i have tried a 120 and 125 jets and still no difference really. some one said to check the float level so i did and it was a lil off so i made it level and it seem to run really good but still really lean. well i rode it for about 30 mins and it started to sputter again so i took it about apart again and adjusted the float and it seems to run a better but still sputters a lil bit and is really lean. i have been running with no air filter due to the fact that i keep testing it and having to take it on and off all the time. should i just get a new carb or what i am lost i have tried every thing and still cant get it to run right. if you could help that would be great thanks.!!! TOM i will be calling you soon to see if you can give any suggestions thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributor

i wouldn't run it too much without that filter on there plus you will not get a true reading of what's going on.
does it run o.k. while cold and start sputtering once it warms up??
DR. PULLEY VARIATOR
RED MAIN
17g ROLLERS
12T/45T SPROCKETS
IRIDIUM PLUG
HP CDI & COIL
LED LIGHTS

ASW CARBIDE
UNI
12g SLIDERS
RED MAIN
39T SPROCKET (coming soon)
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Lurker

NO it sputters all the time. i have a 125 jet,new petcock,new plug, cleaned the carb MANY MANY times. i dont know?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Contributor

it may not be the jets. do you have an extra coil or CDI to try? one of those might be it. check all the ground wires also.
DR. PULLEY VARIATOR
RED MAIN
17g ROLLERS
12T/45T SPROCKETS
IRIDIUM PLUG
HP CDI & COIL
LED LIGHTS

ASW CARBIDE
UNI
12g SLIDERS
RED MAIN
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Lurker

that's a good idea i don't have a coil or cdi laying around but i was thinking about getting this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Perfo...item33621c6969 . If i had a bad coil or cdi would that make it run lean ? Is there any way to richen these things up?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Contributor

the cdi & coil do not have anything to do with the buggy running lean but if you are getting a popping noise or it's cutting out when you give it throttle or at high rpm's it may be the cdi or coil. have you checked the plug color after a wide open run?
what color is it?
** if it's white - your lean
** if it's black - your rich.
DR. PULLEY VARIATOR
RED MAIN
17g ROLLERS
12T/45T SPROCKETS
IRIDIUM PLUG
HP CDI & COIL
LED LIGHTS

ASW CARBIDE
UNI
12g SLIDERS
RED MAIN
Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Lurker

yea super lean!!! i just messed with the float again and its supposed to be level with the carb when inverted but when i have it set like that it bogs down a sputters. When i have the float down alil farther than even it runs much better i just took it down the road and it runs good again a faint sputter at 1/4 throttle but runs good i did not check the plug color after doing that but every time i look at it its lean i cant seem to get it to run rich so im sure its lean. The thing is just starving for gas!!! p.s i did check all the grounds and connections after ready that and there all good. when i mess with the float i can get rid of the sputter but still super lean
Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Supporting Vendor

Sounds like you may have a vacume leak which will lean it out causing it to lack power and pop. Check the intake for leaks by spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid around intake and listen for a changing idle. Do this with the air filter on so you don't injest any spray into intake of carb for this will give a false reading.
Tom
Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Lurker

hello Tom i have done this i just did it again to double check. i have no idea what to try next. could you tell me your number again and what time i should call to talk to you. if you want you can email it to me at riddlesteven@yahoo.com thanks again iam about to say f*** it. lol i just cant get it to run it should not be this hard and i do know a thing or to about these things thats why its to frustrating
Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Supporting Vendor

It is 662-301-1563 you can call anytime and if I don't pickup just leave a message and I'll get back. I am in the shop from 9am until 5pm, unless I have an errand to run.
Tom
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

One thing you haven't talked about is the pilot jet. Fine and dandy on the main jet but your pilot jet handles most of your low gas pedal operations.

I have cleaned a TON of carbs. It is very rare for these things to have a float problem other than them being gummed up on occasion. It is very rare for them to have an electrical problem other than a broke part on occasion and when they go, it is very obvious (i.e. no spark or not charging).

Pilot jets can be a PITA if they are super clogged. I have broke off cleaning stems in them on occasion. If you can't get something fine enough through it, submerge it in carb cleaner and let it sit for a while until you get it cleaned. Compressed air is your friend.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Lurker

that is a good idea i tried to clean it but i can even get a twisty tie threw it
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Contributor

It does not take very much running without a filter to toast your rings. Electical problems can mimic fuel issues as well. Have you ever checked your fuel supply assembly ie: petcock, lines, and filter by disconnecting them from the carb to see how they are flowing? You could also step up a size on your pilot jet to see if that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Heavy Contributor

You may have a blocked pilot resulting in your lean condition. When the choke is cold, it adds additional fuel to the carburetor and may cover up some symptoms. When the main is engaged the pilot is still adding fuel to the system. If yours was clogged, it would show a lean condition.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Lurker

well iam doing what buggy master said and soaking the carb and all the jets in carb cleaner over night. if that doesnt work im going to get a new pilot jet see what that does. yes i have a new petcock and filter new spark plug new airfilter new main jets new gas lines checked the valves.

Last edited by prosteveo; 12-28-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Supporting Vendor

If you were to hold the pilot jet up to a light you should be able to see light thru it. However all fluid must be blown out or it will block light. It will be a very small hole but when looking through it you should see light. Usually a clogged pilot jet will cause the engine to want to die when warm since idle is solely dependent on the pilot jet.
Tom
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Lurker

Like i said i soaked the jets and carb. over night and then blew threw every thing. The idle and main jets are CLEAN lol. put every thing back together and started the buggie ran better but still had sputter and want to die. So i took the carb off again and then i took the intake off i did notice it did have some cracks in it which i should replace soon however i did check the intake for leaks and found none and yes i did do the starting fluid trick when it was running and no leaks. but when i put the intake back on i really tighten down the intake and then put carb back on and BAM the thing ran PERFECT so i road it around for about 20 mins then parked it that was last night. Today i go to start the thing and it starts up and idles perfect. then i give it gas and i have my sputter back although not as bad but it STILL DOES IT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. IM ABOUT TO GIVE UP ON THIS THING. I really want to get this thing running for a buddy thats in the army he bought this thing when before he went in and hes going to be comming back in a couple months and i would really like to have this thing running. do you think i should just start replacing things like intake,carb.coil,cdi an so forth till i get to runn properly!

Last edited by prosteveo; 12-28-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Heavy Contributor

sounds now like a new intake or take the hose part off and go to a parts store and match up
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Supporting Vendor

Where are you located, you may be near a dealer of member that can help out.
Tom
Old 12-31-2010, 02:12 AM
Lurker

i live near Milwaukee Wisconsin