BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Lurker

Default Yerf 3206 - only "buzzes" when trying to start

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I have a Yer Dog 3206 buggy that I have been riding for a few months now. It is my second 3206. I know just enough about them to get me in trouble.

Here is my problem. About 2 weeks ago, I started having an issue when trying to start the buggy. When I pressed in the start button, I only got a "buzzing" sound coming from the rear of the cart. It would not turn over. I thought at first it was a battery issue, but if you released the button and pressed it again a few times, it would finally fire up. From that, I thought it might be a bad starter relay or bad starter. Two days later, it would not start at all. I have checked the battery (just bought it 2 months ago). I went ahead and changed out the starter relay and the starter. Still will not fire.

Any ideas?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Lite Contributor

Possible bad ground?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Contributor

Sounds like your starter may be bad or your starter has a bad ground like woody said. Also check the voltage of your battery and give it a charge. May not be enough power to make the solenoid happy.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust

Last edited by mb1134; 06-03-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

starter clutch shot! I got the same problem. Starter motor spins but doesn't engage crank to turn the motor over.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

If nothing is happening now after changing those parts for the heck of it check ur inline fuse before anything...Eddie.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
starter clutch shot! I got the same problem. Starter motor spins but doesn't engage crank to turn the motor over.
On the old starter, I can hook the wire coming out of the starter to the positive of my battery and run a ground wire to the casing and it spins freely. Is it suppose to also kick out to engage the motor just like an automobile starter? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am trying to learn how these things work so I can fix issues myself. Not a lot of funds to have someone else repair it.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
If nothing is happening now after changing those parts for the heck of it check ur inline fuse before anything...Eddie.
I have changed out the starter and relay. I also checked the battery and ground. Lastly, I checked the in-line fuse.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Heavy Contributor

[QUOTE=sgtmajor138;34025] Is it suppose to also kick out to engage the motor just like an automobile starter? QUOTE]
starter spins but won't crank the motor over = the starter clutch. Same principle as in a automobile just different design. They do fail on occasion. You'll have to remove the stator side motor case to replace it.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

You may have a bad starter button. Also see if it will start by jumping it with ur car but dont turn ur car on leave it off...
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Heavy Contributor

Or a bad starter button wire connection...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Contributor

The starter button works by making a connection from the starter solenoid to ground. If you are getting no action from the starter at all (spinning buzzing etc) and the fuse is good, there is probably a problem with the switch, or connection or a ground. Tomorrow when it is light I will take a picture of a little remote starter setup that I made, that allows me to activate the starter from the motor area. It will at least tell you if there is a problem with the circuit to the front.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Contributor

Here is a little remote starter switch that I rigged up. First you trace the wires and disconnect the wire connection that is going to the front switches (mine has four wires). Then you trace the wire from the engine side of the connection to the starter solenoid (my wire is Green with a Yellow stripe). The wire goes into a rubber boot and is permanently connected.

Next insert a small nail, wire or brad into the Green/Yellow wire at the connection terminal.

I made up a remote starter using a momentary switch and two alligator clips. However, you can just use a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end. Connect one end to the nail at the Green/Yellow wire and touch the other end to bare metal on the engine.

The starter should now spin and the motor may even start. If the starter spins, you have some type of problem in the front part of the wiring. “NOTE” if the motor does start with this configuration, you will have to reconnect the original wires to use the kill button.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Lurker

I have ordered a replacement starter clutch. Hope this takes care of the problem. I'll post an update once I get it installed.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Lurker

I got in the replacement starter clutch. All went well until I got to the flywheel. After going to AutoZone twice to get the correct gear puller (first one was too small), I finally got it off. Apparently, it had never been removed and was not happy about separating from the shaft. When it did finally release, there were 2 very distinct areas where the puller flattened out the flywheel. I did get the rest of the parts off and have replaced the starter clutch. I did check the old one and do not see anything wrong with it, but I changed it anyway. I have begun to reassemble the cart, but now have to wait on a replacement flywheel. The journey continues...
Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Its the domino effect sometimes!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Lurker

I have replaced the following items:
starter relay
starter
starter clutch
strator
flywheel

Still only get the buzzing when I try to start it. I have tried to load a short video with the sound but have not had any luck. It almost sounds like the starter is free-spinning.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the help.

Last edited by sgtmajor138; 08-04-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Lurker

Hopefully this will help.

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/jp...696f6.mp4.html
Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Lurker

Still no luck. tried bypassing the switch but it does the same thing. I have just about reached the extent of my mechanical ability. Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 PM

I'm not saying you haven't, but make sure you have a good charge on the battery, and make sure it load tests good. Aside from that, make sure all of your electrical connections are good and clean. If the starter is free spinning, it may not be engaging the starter clutch. If I understand the design correctly, the clutch and starter gear never seperate, unlike on conventional car engines, that pull away from the flywheel. Perhaps the starter is not designed for this particular engine? Meaning the nose isn't long enough to engage the starter clutch gear? The only other thing I could think of is the clutch being backwards, but I doubt it can be installed incorrectly.

These clutches have sprags in them, meaning they freespin in one direction, and catch in the the other. This means when the engine is running, the spags freewheel, and when you hit the starter button, the starter spins the clutch, the sprags grab the crankshaft and turn it over till it starts, and then let go to allow the crank to turn freely.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

Are you hearing a buzzing sound only ? or the starter spinning only??
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

My question above pertains to now that you changed out all new parts.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Power User

I'm with master's line of thinking. sounds like you're on the right track thinking that the starter is freewheeling. if not master's idea, only other thing i can think of is that the key was left out and the flywheel is spinning on the crank. One other possibility, improbable but easy to check -- sheared crank.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 PM

The easiest way I can think of to check for sheared crank is to watch the flywheel through the cover while starting it, if it turns, bad news, if it doesn't, then you are back to looking at the clutch.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
The easiest way I can think of to check for sheared crank is to watch the flywheel through the cover while starting it, if it turns, bad news, if it doesn't, then you are back to looking at the clutch.
that or pop the cvt side and turn the variator and watch the fan on the other side.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
that or pop the cvt side and turn the variator and watch the fan on the other side.
True.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM

have you had someone to watch to see if the fan is turning when you try to crank it? if its not turning then you would know its not turning the engine.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Also check the voltage with someones help at the starter. put your volt meter on the small post on the starter solenoid when trying to crank it, it should read 12 volts or more. if not then you are losing power somewhere before there. Also check the big post that goes directly to the starter from your solenoid, not the one from the battery, but the other side, and make sure it is getting 12 volts or more when cranking. Anything less is not acceptable.