BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Lurker

Default Buggy will not start!!

Well, I am at a lose of what to try next. I have been tring to get the buggy started but to no avail. New plug, new carb, changed oil, changed gas, new gas filter, and adjusted the valves. Checked the compression and it is a steady 152. It seems to have great spark (blue/purple) It will only pop maybe once and that is it. I have tried spraying gas and ether into the carb throat, but nothing. I have been talking to Tom a SYC, he feels it is not getting gas. There is fuel in carb, but when I crank it for a while the plug is not very wet. Getting depressed. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Lite Contributor

Does it have a kill/safety switch
Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Lurker

No. no kill switch, just the on off switch. I even by passed that by connecting the two wires together.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

Compression sounds good. Do I understand you correctly that you are saying that you get nothing even spraying ether in it???? If you have good compression and you are spraying ether and getting nothing it sounds like you have no spark. Did this just happen out of nowhere? What were the circumstances?? How did you check to see whether you had spark? Have you re-checked the new plug since putting it in, you may have accidentally shorted the electrode while putting it in. Very easy to do. This would make it look like you have spark when you really don't.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Lurker

I have not rechecked the plug. Right, nothing happened when I shot ether into carb. Not even a pop. I checked the spark in the dark, it looked blue/purple to me. I picked the buggy up last fall from my grandkids. I would not start when I picked it up. Didn't play with it until resently. Before that it ran like a champ. I did find water in the gas so I emptied the tank and replace with mid octane fuel and a touch of dry gas. Valves have been checked and ok.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Lurker

Just changed plug with no change. Is there something in the electrical that could be causing this? My next step I think is to chase all wiring and make sure there aren't any broke/open connectors. What do you guys think?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Heavy Contributor

Unless there is something blocking the intake or maybe the intake valve is stuck or the rocker is broken or something like that. Because if you are spraying ether in it then you KNOW you are getting fuel. Either something is stopping it from getting to the cylinder or there is no spark in the cylinder. What method did you use to check the spark?

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Lurker

I removed the plug and installed it back into the coil plug and held it to frame ground while I cranked the engine in the dark. blue/purple spark. I get spark whether the on/off switch is on or off.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

I'm thinking sparkplug coil don't know why but they goes bad it acts funny. Like making you believe its something else..maybe I'm wrong...Eddie.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Heavy Contributor

Well the way you checked the plug leaves little doubt that you seem to be getting spark. And blue spark sounds plenty strong. Remove your fan cover and valve cover. Give the fan spin with your hands and see if the valves are being compressed.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Could you possibly have a bent valve? is so that thing will crank all day and not fire! even with a good spark!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Could you possibly have a bent valve? is so that thing will crank all day and not fire! even with a good spark!
He also has GREAT compression.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Lurker

Thanks for the replys. The valves seem fine. adjusted them to .004 (both). One question about that. The book tells you to line up the T mark. I did. The book then tells you that both lobes should be in the down position. Both of the lobes are not down!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Heavy Contributor

I assume you are talking about the mark on the flywheel for top dead center. If so just turn it one more rotation and things should be right. When piston is on top dead center with lobes in down position you should see two small marks or holes in the cam gear which should line up with the top of the head. That's how you know the cam timing is right.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

Just to clarify. The crank rotates twice for every one rotation of the cam.