BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Lurker

Default Big Bore Didn't Fit

I have a Kandi Kart KD150FS that I bought in 2005. It has a 150cc GY6 engine. I ordered a Big Bore lit that was supposed to be bolt on with no machining required. It doesn't fit.

The bolt holes on the kit I got do not align with the holes in the crank case or the valve head. This has left me very frustrated. The markings on the engine itself only say "GY6" and the serial number is "050301430". That's the only markings I can find find on the engine. I sent a text to Kandi asking why this is and still haven't gotten a response.

So, my engine is in pieces. The new parts don't fit and I am not sure how I can even find parts that fit since the vendors just say that their parts fit GY6 engines. What a mess.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Heavy Contributor

Not questioning your abilities in any way but did you try the bore in every position possible. In other words spin it around to make sure it was installed right. When over the engine looking down the timing chain cavity should be on the left. Does your valve cover have 2 or 4 bolts? There are two different kinds of gy6 150 engines. One every part in the world will fit and the other not so much. If you have the not so much engine you can still get parts for it. Click on the banner at the top of the page and get Toms contact info and give him a call.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Lurker

It definitely doesn't fit. The holes by the timing chain cavity don't line up at all. I have sent a text to the Kandi company, the manufacturer of the kart, hoping to get some guidance There has to be a way to identify this engine in order to get parts for it. (I hope) I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. Thanks for referring me to Tom.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Heavy Contributor

pics will help folks diagnose as well..
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Power User

check your valve cover, if it's a 2-bolt, you're pretty much not going to find anything beyond stock replacement parts for it.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 PM

^^ +1. As per Tom, the 4 bolt is the type A engine, and like slestak said, everything will fit, the other, not so much, and if you do, it might be inferior quality or over priced.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'

Last edited by Masteryota; 03-11-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Lurker

The valve cover does have just 2 bolts. So, I guess I'm screwed unless someone knows of a special resource. It would would have saved a lot of time and trouble had the distributor of the Big Bore Kits stated that it wouldn't fit GY6 Engines with 2 bolt valve covers. Now, I am stuck with a kit that has been assembled and they won't take it back because of that.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Heavy Contributor

I realize this comes a bit late but, spmotostore.com has a lot of parts for the B type motors
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Power User

advertise the kit for sale here and on other buggy forums. Some require a certain amount of time/posts that you've been a member to list though.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM

Or go on the hunt for the "right" gy6 engine to apply the kit to! maybe pickup a bargain rebuilder on one of the forums, or CL, Ebay?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Heavy Contributor

I may be wrong, but looking at the kits for "B" type motors, it looks like you can put some monster big bore kits on them, because apparently the cylinder bolt spacing is greater.

2014 Kandi 90B