BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Lite Contributor

Default doesnt make sense.

after trying to fix my buggy for over a month now i finnaly threw in the towel abd took it in to a repair shop. It was a huge pain in the but to get it started. You had to maneully choke it by covering the air intake. I called the guy today. He has had the buggy for 5 days now and he says its not getting spark. It doesnt make sense to me because it seemed more like a fuel problem. What do you guys think.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Power User

recall the ongoing saga on this one-- consensus was the FEV was possibly bad. did you ever verify that it worked or not?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Yes the fev worked just fine but the shop mechanic said it doesnt have spark but if i spray it with starter fluid it will start for a few seconds unless i keep reving it doesnt that mean that it?has spark.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Power User

either the coil has gone bad in the meantime, or you need to find another shop if they're saying it's a no spark issue and you verified spark. I have a distinct distrust of most repair shops these days. Did you replace the carb, any other parts or very very thoroughly clean it? Either it's gummed up, running way lean or timing or valve adjustment is off.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible to get it to start with a VERY weak spark and with higher rpm's stay running- This tells me that you have a failing coil, stator or magnet on the flywheel. Had a few that would spark once blue then yellow then white then nothing to find one of the 3 items was barely working, twice replacing the flywheel fixed it- it was the magnet on the flywheel too weak.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Heavy Contributor

I'd just replace it all... you can get all of those things for less than 70 bucks new if you look around (ebay)... CDI, coil, stator/flywheel, spark plug. Change them all out for new ones, get the performance ones if you can. I just did this on my friends buggy and it runs a ton better now.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Well guys got bad news. Went to go pick up the buggy today. It will start now but according to the mec . The engine is in rally rough shape and may need a complete rebuild. The guy told me that the valves were so tight the screwed up the piston. I would prefer to put a atv motor in there but i dobt have the time and he is charging $700 dollors to do it and i still have to the buy the engine so i feel like im screwed. I dobt have that kind of money to anything.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Heavy Contributor

Dude... get a new piston, they are not that expensive and not that hard to install. The hardest thing I'd suspect would be the timing chain.
I've changed pistons out on my 50cc RC engines but never on a gy6, but they are not much different, just a little more work on Gy6.

just make sure you have the right size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150cc-Piston...#ht_500wt_1413

If you want you can add a tad more power with this... http://www.sycpowersports.com/index....id=66&incid=29
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Lite Contributor

I dont have the time. I wish i lived near one of you guys. Especialy mr.metal
I would have him put a honda trx200sx in mine but i can only dream.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Power User

I'd search the various forums with a "want to buy" post in the classifieds for a used GY6. You could probably score one for 100-200. I know there's one around for in the $200 shipped range right now.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Heavy Contributor

or go on ebay and get one of the BMI ones for less than 100.00... bad thing is they are sold as is.