BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Lurker

Default tach mod

Hey guys i ama new in that and i Sant ti know if the small auto meter TAC can fit and work properly in te yerf dog 150cc want ti put te TACh of my car thanks and sorry about mi english
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Lurker

give 12volts to the tach for power, and run the signal wire from the tach to the positive voltage wire on your coil
Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Power User

does this work for certain though? i know most tachs have a different settings for number of cylinders ... i'd do the same (i have a few old ones) if i knew for sure a v-8 tach would work on a single cylinder. been thinking about just ordering a motorcycle tach.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Lurker

Smile

Yea the motorcycle tach will work well, but if you logically think about it the tach operates of the signal wire on the coil of your car.. like my 97 silverado it has a 5.7 v8 and the coil runs to the distributor right? theirs only one wire powering the distributor just like your 150 the tach counts how many pulses the cdi will put out a milli second an the display it as your rpms so i dont think it should matter very much do you? the tach i have doesnt have any calibration it said it was calibrated from the factory
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Power User

its the phasing and timing of the signal to the tach and the tach circuitry that controls it. the coil pulses to the ignition are factored in and accounted for as a set value. while it may only be milliseconds, the tach has to know how many pulses to "skip" per rotation of the distributor to display correctly. most aftermarket tachs have a setting for V-6 or V-8 on the back. If you don't have it set to the correct position, it will not show the proper rpm rate because it begins reading the pulse to different ignition leads (counting every 6th pulse while there's actually 8 going on or vice versa) Likewise, even the tiny tach digital units have settings for 1 and 2 cylinder engines.

So a V-8, V-6 or 4 cyl. auto tach for a 1 cylinder engine--i think the final answer is no, it won't work. It would indicate a much lower rpm rate than what's really going on.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Lurker

yes i agree i would just go with getting a motorcyle tach so you know your accurate!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Contributor

if it has a 1 cylinder seting on back then it will work, if not i would also say no.

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Heavy Contributor

Non of the tachs designed for 4/6/8 automotive will work on these single cylinder machines! the later model 2/4 motorcycle electronic tachs won't work either It's all been tried before! Only a tach designed for single cylinders will work.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Lurker

a jr dragster autometer tachometer works . gotta get it from jegs.com . hook it up just like a car . signal wire gose on neg side of the coil .