BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

My kid's couldn't stay off the horns!! That's why I haven't installed one recently. The brake light helps me find where the other buggy went in the woods as much as when braking occurs.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

the horn has saved me some trouble countless times. I'm the only one out of my crew with one so if I'm in front then they are out of luck if something breaks on their buggy and they have to stop, I've had to turn around and drive back countless times... but if I'm in back i can get others attention if something happens.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Power User

Still trying to find a place for my meep meep, don't want to pop my eardrums with it.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Contributor

I mounted mine up front under the new plate braces pointed forward. It's not the prettiest sound but it's functional.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

mine is mounted to one of the forward roll bar bolts, just in front of the steering wheel mount. it was a good $9.99 spent.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

I have a set of Caddilac horns on one and an electric air horn on the other. I found that when you beep your traditional horn behind someone while ridding they won't hear it above their engine noise and helmet. They will be turning around to look for you if broken down anyway. Mine are mounted up front behind frame.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Heavy Contributor

I don't know, my horn is pretty loud and it always gets there attention. I turn around to look, but when it's to late and I'm 100 yards away. lol
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Contributor

It's getting close. I would have been rolling except today I found out one of my new grade 8 bolts was bent so the hub wouldn't mount properly. My hope is to be dialing the carb in next weekend. I think it's coming along nicely.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

You're right it's coming along!!Looking good so far.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 AM
Heavy Contributor

how did you redo the a-arm mounts? looks pretty good.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

Lookin good.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
how did you redo the a-arm mounts? looks pretty good.
Bulkhead just got the standard 1/8 " thick plating welded to the top of the existing mount locations. I cut the middle out in the front to mount the rollers for the winch. The shock mount on the lower a-arm is just a piece of 1-1/4" square tubing with one side cut-off. I spent a little time with the grinder shaping it and making clearance for the shock.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Heavy Contributor

Thanks, I re-did my shock mounts but I only did one hole I want to do multiple holes but I'll have to redo them so that the bottom of the shock wont hit them at different angles.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Contributor

Well the weekend didn't go as planned. I spent Friday night getting everything buttoned up and ready for play on Saturday. I headed out Saturday morning to pick up a couple jets and found out all the local bike shops decided to take the day off for a long holiday weekend. Can't blame them for that.

It was killing me to have the buggy sitting there so Sunday I took an old 114 jet and drilled it out to approx a 130. With the 125 jet I had in it I could get it to start and idle rough but anytime the gas pedal was applied it would die. With the 130ish jet I could get it to idle and drive but anything over 3/4 throttle would bog down. I hope to pick up some jets today and search the forum for hints/tips for getting the carb dialed in. Anyone want to provide their thoughts on the needle settings or good starting point for jet size? The head has been port, polished and milled. I dropped a 59mm cyclinder in it. Stock carb.

What little I did get to drive it I'm excited to get it finished up. The thing just feels solid. Kudos to you guys for advising me to weld the cage fully.

I was telling the father-in-law how the front tires don't help with turning on gravel but that was to be expected with all that power lifting the front end off the ground. He just grinned at me. Also my son thinks the horn needs tested everytime he walks by. Funny how they navigate to those things. Have a good one.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Heavy Contributor

Starting and idling have to do with the pilot jet and valve adjustment. A 35 pilot is stock and might have to go to 38. My Yerf required a stock pilot, but 140 main to run properly. If you cannot get good starting and idle with a 35 or 38 pilot, I suggest going back over the valve timing and lash and looking for intake or exhaust leaks.

Last edited by GX150; 05-29-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Heavy Contributor

I'd start with the 135main and 38 pilot. I have a 130 main jet in mine now with my mods in the sig. I had a 38 pilot jet but It was a bit too much, I went back to stock, but for you it might be just what you need.

are you gonna stick with those tires up front or switch to some thinner ones with better grip? Like kinda front max?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Supporting Vendor

When you applied the fuel and it died its important to know at which point and under which operating condition it died. When you start the engine the fuel is fed through the pilot jet up until almost 1/3 throttle at which point you transition from pilot to main jet. If the pilot is too small or restricted this will cause it to die when normal throttle is applied, more so with quicker acceloration. First you want to be possitive without doubt that the 1) valves are adjusted correctly with .003 int. and .005 ex. cold. 2) you have no vacume leak at the intake. When you drilled the main jet unless you have metric drill bits and had personally checked the bit you used to a 130 jet you cannot be certain on how rich you made the jet. When you say @ 3/4 throttle it boggs down, this sounds like it is jetted too rich. Pulling and inspecting the plug immediately after the 3/4 bogg will tell that story. Back to the origional dieing off idle, if you throttle very slow and it seems like starving but then you get to the point over 1/3 throttle it gets better then the problem is either restricted or too small pilot. Just from you stating rough idle will make me look to vacume for leaks or valve adjustment ( too tight). Too get the engine to idle at its smoothest and highest idle how many turns from the seated position was the A/F adjuster turned out. If your unsure on any feel free to gine me a call this evening.

TOM
Old 05-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Contributor

Thanks for the replies. With the 125 jet I would get a rough idle but as soon as I touched the gas it would die. With the drilled jet(130ish) I could get movement if I applied gas at start up but at 3/4 throttle it would bog down/cut out and the plug showed signs of being to rich (dark). The valves were adjusted when I put everything back together but I can remove the cover and check again. I have the mixture screw out 5 full turns to get it to idle but it's rough. The start ups are not consistent either. Based on the above it sounds like I need to get a bigger pilot jet and then continue testing some different jet sizes. Where do you typically set the needle. I believe it is on the second slot from the bottom(Pointy End) prior to any changes.

Thanks;
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

What kind of carb are you using, a CVK (stock) or a slide carb?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Contributor

Stock
Old 05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

Stock carbs were cvk carbs and the needle is not adjustable. If your a/f adj is 5 turns out, causes can be too tight valves, intake leaking vacume . The pilot jet will cause you to overcompensate adjustment of the air/fuel but I doubt 5 turns. The idle should be smooth and at its highest rpm @ 1 1/2 - 2 complete turns. Check again the valve clearance then your intake. If the intake has cracks in the rubber it will depend in where the cracks are. The best way to check is when running spray some carb cleanner on the intake and listen for any idle change. Be aware that when spraying the intake using full pressure the mist may be sucked into the filter giving you a false diagnosis. Just barely press the valve so there is barely a stream. Also inspect the plastic isolater and its O-ring if it has one as well as the o-ring on the intake itself. Do not try to seal a vacume leak with gasket cement or silicone sealant. If the o-ring is bad either replace it or make a paper gasket to replace using gasket material. Auto Zone or any parts store will have this. Once you are certain valves are adjusted and no vacume leaks are present you should start and idle. If then your a/f adj exceeds 2 complete turns to achieve the highest and smoothest idle then the pilot needs to increase. It should run OK with the 125 main jet but you will have to do the full throttle test to determine if the main has to also increase.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I picked up some new jets yesterday but didn't find time to play with the buggy. Someone decided to back into my bike in the parking lot during my son's tee ball game yesterday so I spent the evening dealing with that. I guess I should be thankful they stuck around to let me know they did it. I had to laugh when they told me it wasn't on the ground long because they picked it up really fast. Like that made a difference. I'll report back when I get the buggy running properly.

Take it easy.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Heavy Contributor

It was good to see the buggy in person Soapkart, you did a great job on the build. Also thanks for the food, the sausage burgers were great!

T.J.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Contributor

Likewise TJ. Hopefully I will get my engine squared away and be able to put up some stronger times next year. Regardless I think we represented the Yerf nation well amongst all the Hammerhead & Joyner rigs.

Will
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Heavy Contributor

Yeah, we did good, the Yerfs hung in with the big dawgs with no problems. I'm gonna do a little tinkering with my engine also, I can't let my bro take the glory like that. lol
Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Supporting Vendor

You guys sure did represent the yerfs well.T3 I think you were jus given a new name this weekend Flipper LOL, great job in the scramble. Sorry some missed the drags though. I realized one thing this year. It's a tough job organizing an event, but I guess it went well enough since I haven't heard anyone complain. Overall I had a great time and hope you guy's had one as well. It was great meeting you guy's.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Heavy Contributor

yep it was fun, and nice meeting you too Tom, I wanted to make the drags but I know I would have lost big time so I didn't feel bad at all. The trophies you gave out were Awesome!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanks, In drag racing you never know, Friday I ran excellant and was looking forward to running Funnyman since we have the fastest 150's nobody could beat in the past. On my way to the drag's only 500 ft. on the access road the headder pipe cracked right at the flange. Oh well, had to park it and not run in the drags or scramble. Funnyman ate the starter clutch so he couldn't run. Bildo has a fast 250 but was eliminated in one run to Rich when his foot slipped off the acelorator. So never say never. There were only 2 running in the stock class and not many in the modded class. Only one run the stroked modified class since I and Funnyman could not run. I think you would have done well. Next year we will work on getting everyone notified of the exact location. Had it all planned out but never thought if a first timmer showed to the staging area a little late he would not know where it was.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

It all just gives me something to look forward to next year. I know what I have to shoot for now, and I also know to bring ever spare part I have in the garage because you never know whats gonna break!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Supporting Vendor

The road leading to and the sand will really tear things up. The Joyners due to the better suspension will hold up much better but the yerfs and the strut frontends will tend to break more.