BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Newbie here, vacuum hose maybe.

Well, today was my first ride with my new (to me) yerf dog. Is was weird cause starts, idles but once I push the gas pedal has almost no power, I have to get off and push the go kart, then start running like a champ, good top speed but if I stop and try to run again nothing even pushing all the way the gas pedal. In the video I put a block in front of the rear tire, push the gas all the way and you can see nothing happends. In the 10sec of the video I was trying to show an oil spot in the back of the driver' seat, is coming out of the converter cover.

I hope is one of the vacuum hose which is broken. Is not the carb, cause I have a 150cc scooter and switch the carb and my scooter show no difference.

Last edited by aquileus; 02-14-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Makes us another video with the rear wheels elevated and let us see how it does then- The oil spot- are you sure it's not from the hose out of the valve cover?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Lite Contributor

I did try with the tires in the air once and acceleretes good and "strong", the tires turns very fast, way diffrent. But tomorrow I will post a video of it too.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Lite Contributor

Ok my neighboors going to be a little upset with me since is 12:15 AM, but I normally don't do this. Here is the video not too good since is too late. You can hear the engine accelerates almost good way diffrent like with the tires on the floor.

Metalstud, you're right the oil spot in the rear of the back is coming for the exhaust, apparently from the exhaust gasket.

Last edited by aquileus; 02-12-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well that vid didn't tell much but thanks for the effort! I didn't say the oil spot was from the exhaust but the vent( PCV) from the valve cover, I'd hope the exhaust wasn't leaving an oil spot but a carbon spot. Have you pulled the CVT cover yet to see the variator, clutch and belt working?- this could simply be a slipping belt.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Lite Contributor

Ok, this next video start with the go kart in stands with the tires in the air, the acceleration sounds almost good. The first weird thing I notice is the variator apparently is not working right, maybe needs to be replaced. At the 1:00 min. on the video I take out the stands and put the tires in the trailer floor, then the rest of the vid is "accelerating" the carb with my hand or with the pedal but nothing happends. But if I put the tires back in the air it accelerates like normal like the first min of the vid.

well definitly I'm not the best video maker, hope works.

Last edited by aquileus; 02-13-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thanx for that vid!!! it showed much more. The first thing I'd do is adjust the valves and see if it idles better as it's pretty rough. I'm at a loss as to why there's "no" change in the throttle when the wheels are on the ground-almost as if the throttle isn't hooked up- but I can see you twisting it. Doubt the variator needs to be replaced but checking the rollers would be good. Also verify you have a good flow of fuel from the tank to the carb.
Maybe someone else see's or hears something I'm missing.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Power User

float level maybe just sitting right at the threshold of adjustment to keep it running when it's up? Didn't 300 cc have fits after setting his up while on stands then finding it wouldn't run when he put it on the ground? I also notice it doesn't look like any change in belt position while he was revving it, but don't know if he got enough rpm for it to shift. Other than that, i wonder if something is stripped or broken in the tranny and it'll free spin with no load but locks up when it's loaded. I wouldn't quite expect no engine rpm increase at all from that, but strange things happen with busted metal sometimes.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Lite Contributor

well finally the the issue was solved. the variator was the problem, I take out the variator with an impact wrench then put everything in place and is almost ready for the weekend.

Last edited by aquileus; 02-14-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
float level maybe just sitting right at the threshold of adjustment to keep it running when it's up? Didn't 300 cc have fits after setting his up while on stands then finding it wouldn't run when he put it on the ground? I also notice it doesn't look like any change in belt position while he was revving it, but don't know if he got enough rpm for it to shift. Other than that, i wonder if something is stripped or broken in the tranny and it'll free spin with no load but locks up when it's loaded. I wouldn't quite expect no engine rpm increase at all from that, but strange things happen with busted metal sometimes.
The belt position, that was the hint, after i remove the variator and put things in place the next test the belt was working right.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Lite Contributor

I was trying to post the video like before but I not doing something right and I can't see it. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MmiQCAo9jU
Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Power User

Awesome, now make your buddy fix your cable! vid works, might not have finished loading.

I take it the issue was that the variator outer was loose and the belt was locking down in between the pulley sides when it was sitting on the ground?
BTW, Be careful with the impact, it's real easy to strip the nuts when using them to tighten things up.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Lite Contributor

Now start the searching for bigger tires.

I saw this ones online for sale, $200. Those are for yamaha banshee.

I needs this too:

But, I have to find out if yamaha banshee rear wheels and front hubs are compatible with the yerf. ???
Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

I think the Banshee rears are 108mm- close enough to drill/slot the holes. I doubt the front hub will fit the spindle shaft of the Yerf- You might be able to get bearings that will fit.
$200. is really high for what you have pictured here + freight. Isn't there any local sales there?
I just bought 4 rear (9")2 clear aluminum & 2 black aluminum, 2 fronts-(10")black aluminum & 1 front wheel clear aluminum without a tire with good tires just like the ones shown (Yamaha) for $100. locally.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Power User

Any idea of how "inflated" your shipping costs are compared to mainland? BMI has the brand new mounted 22s with no hubs in the rims for 50 each. don't know if a dirt/rock trail knobby is what you'd really want vs a tractor style chevron tread.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
I think the Banshee rears are 108mm- close enough to drill/slot the holes. I doubt the front hub will fit the spindle shaft of the Yerf- You might be able to get bearings that will fit.
$200. is really high for what you have pictured here + freight. Isn't there any local sales there?
I just bought 4 rear (9")2 clear aluminum & 2 black aluminum, 2 fronts-(10")black aluminum & 1 front wheel clear aluminum without a tire with good tires just like the ones shown (Yamaha) for $100. locally.
Actually those ones are post in the local on line classifieds, this classifieds are well known here. My chances to find a deal on used wheels and tires are good. Unfortunately most of the people here prefer banshees and blasters, that's why most of the parts in the classifieds come from those models. $100 for all of that sounds a good deal.

I liked the wheels in the 250cc, in 0:45 is a closer look to the wheels, I need to do some research to know if is posible and if so how. In 5:22 makes me wonders if is the tires, or the terrain, or too much tire pressure, or the driver??? Hmn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
Any idea of how "inflated" your shipping costs are compared to mainland? BMI has the brand new mounted 22s with no hubs in the rims for 50 each. don't know if a dirt/rock trail knobby is what you'd really want vs a tractor style chevron tread.
The freight prices are really high with fed ex or ups. The only way to have a decent freight price is using USPS priority service, is a standar price and PR included in the local zone service for the same price like the mainland. But this service has his limitations in size and weight.

Well I preffer something with good traction for mud terrains. I was watching this vid and is kind of close to my wife parents. I don't know those guys, but the vid is a good example of what kind of terrain I'm taking about. In 2:35 u can see the diference and was tires, in 5:30 min I can see the tires and 5:35 I was convince.

PS. after 12+ mins watching the vid with that background music I end up with a headache. LOL.

Last edited by aquileus; 02-15-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Power User

that looks like some sticky nasty mud. reminds me of when the ground has a 3+ inch frost layer around here and the top inch or so thaws = sit 'n spin ... looks like you need some real mudders for that fun!

Last edited by x-bird; 02-15-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

The wheels on that 250 look like golf cart wheels or from a Rhino/Razor.Suspension is WAY too stiff and the tires are too low a profile for mud & it doesn't perform like a 250 either. This is another example of "form over function"!!! Looks good but don't perform well- this buggy would do well on flat ground with lot's of drifting. The mud there is similar to Louisiana's southern terrain "Gumbo".
Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Lite Contributor

This appears today in the local classifieds, trx 250?, year ???, $575 OBO, but the info reads driveshaft. I already called the guy, he saids everything is working right, exept for the appereance. Does the driveshaft excludes this one like an engine/tranny donnor?

Last edited by aquileus; 02-17-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

NO exclusion here,good price too.-This a healthy Honda motor!! it's a manual tranny- with this motor you get to turn the engine the correct direction. You'll need to have a sprocket welded to the yolk splines.If you go to "How to put an ATV engine...."in the frankenbuggy section you'll be able to see how I accomplished this without a machine shop (not reccomended for the casual fabricator!!).There will be a fair amount of fabrication work to put this in your Spiderbox- but it'll fit well. Sprocket alignment will probably be the biggest issue on a stock axle.