BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Need help with my niece's kart

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but here it goes. My niece has this little kart, no clue what brand and it has alot of trouble with bottom end power. The clutch with the sprocket attached is a 10 tooth but has alot of play. Here is the pic

I am trying to get it fixed up for her but have little experience with this stuff. Here is another pic of the motor. Any help is appreciated.

The kart has trouble taking off and has little power but once it gets going it actually moves pretty well but she wants more power to get up little hills with out having to get speed to do it. Thanks fellas!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 AM

You can get a smaller sprocket, say... maybe 40 tooth.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Lite Contributor

Ok, that will be the first thing I try. Do you think the clutch is shot? I can wiggle the plate that the sprocket is attached to so I am assuming that is not normal.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 AM

not sure. i had a torque converter on my old kart. So I don't know about those centrifugal clutches.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Heavy Contributor

I believe that if you get a smaller sprocket youll lose even more bottom end. Its probably ur clutch. Matter of fact you will lose bottom end power if you go smaller... Eddie.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Power User

miami is correct. either smaller rear tires or small drive sprocket. best thing to do would be to make an engine mount plate and put a jackshaft and Comet 30-series torque convertor on it. It'll give you bottom end without really losing anything up top. need to be able to do some basic fab for the plate though.
http://www.*****************/asymapp.htm
Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Lurker

Here are some ways to get more low end power:
1. Increase the size of your big sprocket. Unfortunately, the one you have is quite large already and anything bigger could drag the ground.
2. Reduce the tire size. Doing that could make your current sprocket drag the ground.
3. Get new clutch with smaller tooth count. Your clutch is already small at 10 teeth. Not sure if they make one with less.
4. Get bigger engine with same size output shaft to fit existing clutch. Cost could be a factor.
5. Convert drive system to Torque Converter. Cost could be a factor.

The clutch should have some play but not too much. The area that engages the centrifugal shoes is probably fine, but the brass sleeve that the clutch housing/sprocket spins on is probably worn. That is what causes the wobble. Since you are just trying to get it going for you niece, I would suggest buying a new heavy duty clutch with no more than 10 teeth (less if possible). Also check the sprocket alignment. It looks like the chain is rubbing on the clutch housing based on the swirl pattern.