Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
bad running GY6 150 - BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum
BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Lurker

Default bad running GY6 150

Fired up the buggy first time today, It would not run at idle but plenty of power when revved/driven. Stripped the carb soaked in carb cleaner and cleaned all the jets, It would then not run at all maybe fire if I played with the throttle, So stripped again found nothing wrong put it back on, now it runs, not on idle but it runs. Now when I drive it accelerates well then shuts off for a few seconds then off it goes again accelerates up then the same thing. So the question is what have I screwed up. New air filter, float set at 18mm no vacuum leaks good spark and compression of 138
Old 11-05-2019, 01:54 AM
Contributor

Your compression is a little on the low side. Did you try a bigger pilot jet?
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD
Old 11-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Power User

if you're 100% the carb and especially the pilot jet is truly clean, check fuel tank and petcock. the gel from ethanol fuel that's broken down can float around then suck in and clog the tank filter--- then float away again. have also dealt with several petcocks that the internal seals have degraded and caused the same kind of intermittent issue.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILWS6 View Post
Your compression is a little on the low side. Did you try a bigger pilot jet?
I would have thought enough compression, it runs fine just hits a certain rpm and stops, like hitting a switch, no spluttering or misfire it just stops then a few seconds later off it goes again, not tried re-jetting just thought get it running standard first, new carb is here so will give that a go
Old 11-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
if you're 100% the carb and especially the pilot jet is truly clean, check fuel tank and petcock. the gel from ethanol fuel that's broken down can float around then suck in and clog the tank filter--- then float away again. have also dealt with several petcocks that the internal seals have degraded and caused the same kind of intermittent issue.
Got this bad boy today pre set for a 150, so hopefully it will eliminate any car issues. Good point on the tap I will pull it before replacing carb, I changed the filter and never thought about the one in the tank thanks for that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191106_180438.jpg (82.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-07-2019, 05:41 PM
Power User

definitely drain the tank and inspect the inside. nothing worse that putting a new carb on and chasing the same issue all over again. been there, done that.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:35 AM
Lurker

Drained the tank, Thanks for the tip, it looks like someone had resprayed the tank without masking there was bits of peeled paint, when it was empty they stuck to the side but with fuel in they were floating around. So i cut the top off and scrubbed it out, (had to do this as cannot get spares easily here in Poland) going to re-weld and paint today. With a makeshift tank the new carb has sorted the idle problem. So now on with the brakes and lights.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:01 AM
Power User

sounds like you found the issue. you might want to see if you can find a radiator pressure test setup so you can leak test the tank after welding it.