BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Lurker

Default eating belts

I have a Baja reaction 150 gokart and it has been breaking belts the first time the belt broke it was time for it to,so I got a new one and put new weights in it also, the next time it broke really quickly and I took it apart and the new weights were also melted,got new belt and weights and put them in ,now the belt has broken again,this time the weights are ok so what is the problem?Help
Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Lite Contributor

It sounds like a mis alignment or dirty clutch and or both to me. I don't know a lot about clutches but it's a start. Maybe some one else will chime in with a better idea
Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Power User

ditto the above, plus check the screen on the air intake boot. sounds like the cvt is overheating. Buried somewhere in the pages of "My Yerf Upgrade" thread is are pics of the hose setup i made to get more and cleaner air to the system. others have also modified the clutch portion of the engine case to help cooling.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Heavy Contributor

Most of the time when a belt gets shredded there are bits of cording and rubber chunks that get lodged in the variator and wrapped around the pulley shafts. This junk will bind up the pulleys and will trash a new belt in minutes . Your variator got hot enough to melt your weights = The pulleys were spinning in a bind generating heat. Disassemble the variator and clutch pulleys and clean them up good.