BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Contributor

Default Variator Sliders VS Rollers, Which One?

Hi,

So with the two option for the variator, rollers or the sliders, which do you all prefer.

I understand some don't like sliders as you feel the shift. Is the shift feel much to consider?

Which one creates the best performance gain?

What are advantages and disadvantages to both?

Charles

Guang Max 150
All stock but to be like Buggy 1 with all koso cvt.

Roketa 150
Complete tear down building port/polished 61mm NCY head, 62mm cylinder, A12 Cam, 28mm carb, straight through exhaust, 8 pole stator, possibly 2.5 stroker, painting frame, adding plastic including doors and rzr seats.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Lite Contributor

I went from 13g stock rollers to 12g sliders. I haven't done any top speed runs bit there is definitely a drastic improvement in bottom end. It's holds RPMs high off the bat and gets it moving. With my 180 lb weight, it spins tires in sand/grass readily. My my 110 lb wife, it's even more noticeable. With 2 riders, it doesn't struggle going up embankments. With the rollers, it seemed to run out of bottom end almost immediately. As I'd understood, 12 g sliders had the bottom end of 10g rollers while retaining top end. I'm a believer.

Manco 6150 (Unifilter, aftermarket CDI and 12g sliders)
Old 09-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Contributor

charleswrivers

So you found that sliders will give more get up and go then a roller of the same weight?

Do you feel the slider when it engages and is it annoying or fine?

Guang Max 150

Roketa 150
Complete tear down building port/polished 61mm NCY head, 62mm cylinder, A12 Cam, 28mm carb, straight through exhaust, 8 pole stator, possibly 2.5 stroker, painting frame, adding plastic including doors and rzr seats.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Lite Contributor

The only difference I can feel is when I floor it from a standstill, I feel like it revs a little higher, longer. The CVT gears up a little slower, and provides better acceleration/climbing out the gate. A transition is likely more noticeable because the 13g rollers seemed to have the CVT go high almost immediately, robbing power down low. I got a set of 12g sliders for something like 10 bucks as I recall. It's a cheap experiment to try. Taking the cover off was tedious as it was my first time doing so but we'll worth it. I don't find having more torque for a longer period of time down low annoying. It's was the purpose of going to a slightly lighter slider. I would have picked 10g rollers had I not read the slider would retain top end while gaining the bottkm end of a roller 2g lighter. I havent tried a 10g roller, or any other for that matter. I do know. 13g roller to a 12g slider gave me extra torque down low for a tenner and I'd never go back to the 13g roller.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Contributor

Interesting. I had read I think in this forum about going with a 11g roller for overall performance. However, what you are saying makes sense with the slider.

I had 12g rollers in it and they were worn flat on an edge so probably was not a good way to know how they did as I bought the buggy used already like that. It was kind of boggy. However, maybe I should do the 12g sliders.

Guang Max 150

Roketa 150
Old 09-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Lite Contributor

My rollers were a little flat spotted when removed. Mine was bought in '12 used looking like new and I have probably put 25-50 hours on it since then.

I'd read a 10g roller was good for torque w/o killing top end. A 12g slider should supposedly have the bottom end like a 10g roller without affecting my top end. They are supposed to gear slightly higher. There's some videos about it on YouTube. I figured 12g would be a good compromise. Sometimes I like to open it up on a straight and I didn't want to top out at 30. I was hoping to keep around 40 which I'd had, though it took forever to get there.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:48 AM
Contributor

Sounds like you need the same performance I do.

I actually got mine street legal registered and insured. So we get it on the streets and like you, don't want to lose the top end but still need that bottom for hills.

Guang Max 150

Roketa 150
Old 09-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Contributor

Cool

Street Legal ????? What State are you in ? I want to move there . What about four wheelers ? In N.Y. your required to reg. and insure them but totally illegal to run on public roads .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 09-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Contributor

Oldkid

I am in Idaho. I am insured and registered to drive on city streets. I am not allowed to touch my tires on state or federal hwys though. However, neither can golf carts, razor, mule, etc.

Guang Max 150

Roketa 150
Old 09-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Lite Contributor

Your comment actually made me look up the city laws where I'm at.

They only take about Low speed vehicles (golf carts limited to 20 mph by design) which are allowed on city roads with a posted speed limit of 25 mph or less and ATVs which it specifically says have "handlebars and is ridden straddled". There is nothing mentioned about something along the lines of a go cart.

I wrote city hall to ask them. I'm expecting them to say, "A go cart is the same as an ATV"

There's actually "No ATVs" signs a mile or so from my house. I do, however, see them running here and there down the road all over the place, using the roads to get to the trails.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Contributor

Dont call it a go kart though. Call it a buggy Atv similar to a quad that you sit in with roll cage, blinkers, mirrors, stop lights, horns, seat belts.

Because I was newly registering mine, the dmv actually looked it over. By phone they said not, but when I physically brought it in they then did the look over and accepted it.

Then I called Geico and they do not do atvs of any sort. So I looked around until I found a broker that was able to get it insured for offroad and on road.

Guang Max 150

Roketa 150
Old 09-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Lite Contributor

Well see. I'm pretty sure the answer will be no, but I figure I might as well ask.