BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Lurker

Default KD-250GKA is really hard starting

From a cold start, I have to crank on it for quite a while before it will start. It will fire up quicker if I give it a shot of starting fluid but I shouldn't have to do that all the time. Once it starts it seems a little cold blooded for a few minutes but then idles fine, runs fine and restarts without any trouble. Do I need to do a complete tune-up or am I overlooking something simple?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:22 PM

I'm not too familiar with the 250 engines, but it sounds like a choke issue. Does the 250 have an auto choke?

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Lite Contributor

my bro had the same issue with his 250. He changed out the carb and it ran perfect. You probably don't need to swap out the carb but they're only $40 on ebay so why not?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

These buggies today are run so lean so they can get them through EPA. This year has been the hardest year for EPA certification due to tighter emissions. You can do this on new engines but the CN/CF 250 are from the 1980's. This may or may not be your problem. At the least I would look at what pilot and main jet they have in it then by that determine how much larger you will need to go on jet sizes. They may have also had to go with a small lean jet on the enrichment due to EPA. Pull the enrichment valve and check to make sure the needle is not fully extended to where it has the enrichment jet closed off. Other then that a rejet may help you start and you will see more performance as well, along with a cooler running engine.