BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Lurker

Default Carbide 150 clutch shaft help

Hello everyone. I have just recently been introduced to the atv world and cannot believe how much I have been missing out on. Some new friends of ours own three four wheelers and took us out for a ride in may. I loved it so much I started looking on craigslist the next day and came across an add for a mini dune buggy. It said " this thing will go anywhere a four wheeler goes". I purchased an 08 carbide 150 for $600. I had no idea what I was getting myself into because I had never worked on small engines. It was not running but the owner assured me it was a wiring issue. He gave me a box full of parts an an owners manual with diagrams and part breakdowns and numbers. I had the buggy running the next day. Our friends took us out to mena,Arkansas a few weeks later. Wow. I mean wow. Wolf pen gap trails were amazing. When we got back we immediately planned a trip for 4th of July and I started searching in order to get the buggy ready.i also bought an older quadrunner 250 in the process for $400. Had that thing running after a couple of days with no money spent. The 4th came and the buggy surpassed any expectations I had. The groups with side by sides were amazed at how that little 150 was climbing everything in its path. It was awesome. Now we're back home and I tried taking it out last weekend but the buggy seemed like it had no power. It climbed one small hill and now won't climb at all. Smokes out the cvt. I opened it up. The belt seems fine variator seems ok the sliders look good. The clutch looks good the bell seems ok. But with the back on stands if I rotate the clutch shaft either way it travels about a quarter turn then engages the gears it seems. And it also has play like if you wiggle the shaft up and down or side to side it's not firm. I don't think it's supposed to move. I don't remember though because I did not check this when I changed out the main spring. But it has de lost all climbing ability. I'm glad it made it through the 4 grueling days in mena but I'm just wondering what the deal is. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. And I apologize for the lengthy post I just figured I'd introduce myself and give you all the details. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Lurker

Ill be opening up the gear box tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 PM

possibly maybe a bad bearing on your shaft
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Administrator

If you can...post pics of what you see inside the side cover.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 PM

I think maybe a new belt and clutch ( including bell) is what you might need; huh?
Low power? Like need momentum to get up incline?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Lurker

I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply. Thank you all for your suggestions and input. I have taken the gear box apart and everything seems good. No teeth on any of the gears are wore down. Everything spins as it should. The quarter turn both clockwise and counter are from the way the plates engage if that makes sense. I'm glad I opened it though now I have peace of mind that it is all ok. My question I do I have to replace the gasket or can I just rtv the case back together. Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Administrator

If the old gasket ripped, you can usually re-use it as long as it appears in good shape. If it ripped, I would get a new gasket. I personally don't have good luck with just the RTV stuff but others have so you may or may not get lucky.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Power User

as soon as you have it running, take a test ride and listen for gear whine out of the transmission. if the bearings for the clutch shaft are bad, you may not see it on the gears, but you'll hear it. if you do, replace them asap. doesn't take muh play for it to not mesh correctly then lock up and grenade the trans.