BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Contributor

Default First impressions on TK Variator

Well so far it is not what i expected. The overall quality of the cylinder weights is a joke, or these are just a bad batch. Some have the weight hanging out of them, while some have the weight sitting inside like they are suppose to be. Some of the weights have the holes drilled in them, 3 of them do not. The boss pin took a very large amount of force and twisting to get through the variator and did not seem to slide like i believe it should. Tom said it would need to be coaxed through, but this was a lot more than coaxing. The buggy was missing its out of the hole bottom end and it seems to take a few seconds before power kicks in. This could be due to the weights not being properly distributed, or possibly the slide face not moving across the boss pin properly. Once it gets going though, it seems to pull through the band with a little more umph (not a massive difference).

To top it off i started having engine problems while testing the new variator on the second run. I ended up slinging oil out of the breather filter that comes out of the valve cover. I saw no oil on the spark plug so that may be a good sign. I guess i will check compression today and hope for the best. While thinking about it, i believe that one of the grounded o-ring connectors on the cvt case started to break off. This may be why it will not start now. Maybe i will get lucky and that will be the issue at hand. Lets hope for the best

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust

Last edited by mb1134; 05-28-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Contributor

Well i found my issue with the engine. Seems to be a few cracks in the piston between the rings. Tom said all the gy6 TK variators he has look like mine with the weight issues thought.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust