BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 06-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Stator Making Juice?

How can I tell if my stator is making any fire? I think I cooked it when I shorted my battery and the negative terminal melted off the battery. I had it running and now it won't fire with a sparkplug checker. All my electrical components where new. Thanks, Roger
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Stator test

The black and red wire provides power to the CDI. Turn the selector on your volt meter to 150 volts AC and test the voltage going to the CDI in the red/black wire. voltage should be 80 to 120 v AC.

Another simple way to test the stator is to check it with an ohm meter. If you have an open circuit on the red/black wire, the Stator is dead.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Stator making juice?

Do I put the black wire on the volt meter to the engine block? Thanks, Roger
Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Testing stator

I test stators for output voltage by putting the red probe in the back of the connector slot that contains the red/black wire and ground the black wire on the engine while turning over the engine with the starter. The voltmeter readings will jump around a bit, so look for the highest voltage reading to get an idea of how the stator is working.

However, I would first test for continuity through the stator coil. I unplug the CDI connector and test by putting the red probe on the red/black wire and the black probe on the engine. On my Carter Talon 150cc, the stator coil resistance should be 300 to 1000 ohms. If you get infinite resistance, you have an open coil (burned out). Usually, if the stator coil has proper resistance, it will put out the correct voltage.

Keep us informed as to how this works out.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:21 PM

I would think it would burn out the cdi and or the coil before it would the stator.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Stator short...

Zman, I agree with you that the CDI and coil are more usual modes of failure. However, I have had stators short out, probably from a manufacturing defect in the stator insulation. What I have posted is a way to check the stator as this is the next step if a new CD and ignition coil don't solve the problem.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Dead Stator

The stator is dead. It was only putting out 64 volts. I will also be replacing the coil and the CDI. I will post an update ASAP. Just ordered the special puller for the flywheel. Thanks, Roger