BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Default First Buggy...Free!

Got my first buggy today. Have been looking at Dazon 250cc, Helix 150, and Hammerhead 150, all priced at $450 but needing work, but problems kept arising to thwart buying any one of the three. $450 is a decent price for a buggy needing work in my area. But..., saw a Carter Talon 150cc on Craigslist at a garage sale. Called the lady holding the sale and she said it would be cheap. I asked for a price and she tells me her dog chewed up the wiring and steering wheel. I said ok, how much? She said "if you will pick it up before the sale, free" I almost wet my drawers and made an appointment to pick it up. Driving 1 hour from my home, I kept telling myself not to expect much. To my surprise, it is in better cosmetic condition than any of the 3 I had been considering. Although she said free, I gave her $50 and she took it reluctantly. On the way home, my buddy accompanying me threatened to put a pirate flag on the radio antenna! However, I have no knowledge of the engine or trans. The tires are nearly new and the buggy looks like low mileage. The previous owner says the buggy was running before dog chewing and a friend just jumped the starter relay to turn over the engine.

What it needs:
1)Reattach the wiring harness to the ignition switch, the kill switch button, and the headlight switch. Does anyone have a wiring diagram?
2)Need to touch up some rust spots where the paint is missing. Nothing too bad though. Does anyone know a good match to the Carter Talon green?
3) Need to replace several rubber boots that deterioated from age.
4) Charging the battery and it seems to be good.

Plan of attack: 1) reconnect wiring to switches & test. 2) drain old fuel, clean tank, disassemble & clean carb, install fresh fuel 3) change oil 4) start engine (hopefully) 5) work on cosmetics - paint, rubber boots, etc 6)install new air filter

Please give advice if you have any. Would post pictures but don't know how. My wife hopped into the buggy and asked how long to get it running. She loves it! I am excited in case you can't tell!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 PM

Some people have all the luck, myself included, but the title is about $50 misleading, lol.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Default That makes 2 of us!

Good snag Gman, I got a carbide 150 last summer the same way, I saw it setting in a guys yard with grass grown up around it so I stopped to ask him what was wrong with it and how much he wanted for it? He said his kids had broke the reverse gear in it last year and they had bent one of the front wheels hitting a tree and it had set every since. I asked if he would be interested in selling it and he said I could have it if I would just get it out of his yard! which I promptly did, when I got it home I cleaned out the gas tank and carb, put one of my good batteries in it and it fired right up and purred like a kitten!!! My good buddy (who I turned into a buggy addict) has it now and is almost finished with it and cant waite to get it on the trails!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:17 PM

Wow awesome to hear.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Heavy Contributor

Google it key word is : "carter talon 150cc wiring diagram".. it will put you in the pdf section and click on your model type. Hope this helps...Eddie.