BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Lurker

Default Quicksilver problem

My son has a quicksilver with a 136cc lct motor. After a few laps around the yard it just dies. Wait a little while and you can ride again, buts idea again after a few laps.
What all I have done?
Remove carb and thoroughly cleaned
New air filter
Drain gas and filled with pure gas(nonethonal)
Clean fuel valve
Cleaned fuel lines

I am thinking it's the ignition coil? I ordered one just to be safe. Has anyone had issues of this nature?
Thanks, james
Old 07-25-2014, 05:27 PM

welcome James, and I think you may be on the right track. The way to find out is if you have a volt meter and check everything next time it dies on you, before it cools off. check 1st to see if your coil is getting fire.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 PM

Make sure the vent for the fuel tank is clear. If it partially blocked, it will cause a vapor lock in the tank and cause the fuel supply to dry up.

Coil may be failing, but I would recheck the fuel side. One thing to check is the bowl when it shuts off, if is dry, you know where to go. It might also be beneficial to go up a size on the fuel line, or if it has the vacuum petcock, to bypass that with a straight fitting or a shut off valve.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 07-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Lurker

The petcock is the kind with the screen filter on top. I noticed it isn't a large amount of fuel flowing when I take it off the carb. I went ahead and ordered and ignition coil ($25.00) wasn't expensive so no biggie. So, if I replace the fuel valve with a more free flowing valve and larger fuel line, that won't be to much fuel? I'm not a small engine guy. Just checking. Thank you for your responses. Glad to hear I am at least thinking in right direction.

Last edited by Jamesfd52; 07-25-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesfd52 View Post
The petcock is the kind with the screen filter on top. I noticed it isn't a large amount of fuel flowing when I take it off the carb. I went ahead and ordered and ignition coil ($25.00) wasn't expensive so no biggie. So, if I replace the fuel valve with a more free flowing valve and larger fuel line, that won't be to much fuel? I'm not a small engine guy. Just checking. Thank you for your responses. Glad to hear I am at least thinking in right direction.
your on the right track. These motors are notorious for burning fuel faster than the stock fuel system can deliver, especially for those with a heavy foot. Using 5/16 fuel line, a unrestricted fuel valve at the tank and a high volume fuel filter will cure the problem. You won't be supplying too much fuel, the carb float regulates flow, only supplying a reserve to avoid sucking the carb dry.