BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM

Default 62mm 2.2 stroker FUBAR

for you goes who don't know what FUBAR means it means ****ed up beyond any repair. Anyways this motor did not last for anything. It lasted in break in time then 3 straightaway runs that's it! Oil shot everywhere first off and made a mess.

ok so that's the pics of oil everywhere I shut it down. Saw the oil everywhere. Cleaned everything and had to push it from my trails all the way to my garage which was pretty far!

Then I start to tear into the engine.
heres the starter clutch which is the upgrade one that didn't last for **** either I was always having a hard time at start up

ok next step go into engine

So this case is now in the garbage! along with the piston and rings of course and the starter clutch. The head and cam are ok and I will be saving them. I have the crank to still pull off bringing to my dad to pull the gear off to see if I can save the crank! As far as I can tell I am not happy at all with a 62mm bore my personal experience it makes the case walls way to thin. As you can see the entire dowel pin threw my case in the one pic and in the other pic the other one in the top right was already starting to crack threw! I have a a lot of $, time, and aggravation into this and hasn't been worth it at all. For now the buggy will be sitting I believe for a while as im not sure where to go from here with what do to for an engine for herbie. I can tell u if I do ever build a engine it sure wont be a 62mm bore.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.

Last edited by jmansracerocket; 07-20-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:17 PM

That really sucks man, sorry to hear that.
Maybe just try to buy a stock gy6 again, and Go with a thicker wall. My 58.5 mm is holding up. Plus you have a light single seater you don't need a massive BBK

Maybe you could use top end off these....
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mpo/4567355227.html

http://longisland.craigslist.org/snw/4520892066.html

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/4535400737.html
Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Heavy Contributor

Those scooter GY6s are the "long" version, and it'll work if you wanna rehab the swing arm LOL...

Sorry to hear that though, I was thinking about a big bore if I ever needed some more power (I keep having fears it's not gonna have enough hill climbing grunt).
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFauxFox View Post
Those scooter GY6s are the "long" version, and it'll work if you wanna rehab the swing arm LOL...

Sorry to hear that though, I was thinking about a big bore if I ever needed some more power (I keep having fears it's not gonna have enough hill climbing grunt).
That is correct our buggy engines are shortcase engines. As for power yes stock the 150cc to me is under powered

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Contributor

Ive got a complete Hammerhead new rebuilt blueprinted engine ,pipe,wiring harness ,and reverse for sale for $350. shipping extra PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hammerhead GY6 pics 001.jpg (94.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Hammerhead GY6 pics 003.jpg (94.0 KB, 7 views)
Dazon 150 single Mods ...Uni-Filter, 30 mm Kiehin pumper carb, FMF power pipe, 30 mm Intake pipe, Hi Rev CDI, Orange HV coil, 10,000 rpm Tiny Tach,Works Performace Shocks 12" F Blaster 14" R . Pearl Perf Ceramic 13.5 rollers, Gates Power Belt,Kenda Claws F&R

Last edited by rich1; 07-21-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Contributor

I feel your pain jman. I have had nothing but issues with the 62mm bbk. The first lasted one good trail ride but then cracked the piston on a routine run around the block. The second seized the rings flat with the piston for some reason and the worst part is that I didn't run it WOT. I had it in the garage just running it a little and running it at different rpms to break the engine in. I am currently on my 3rd piston. I changed the oil probably 4 times and I still see shiny tiny metal specs in the oil, which look like they are coming from the nicasil treated wall. I have kind of given up on the thing and will be taking it to the local Polaris dealer who sells them. Hopefully they can figure out my my current issues and I won't blow this one as well.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 07-21-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
Ive got a complete Hammerhead new rebuilt blueprinted engine ,pipe,wiring harness ,and reverse for sale for $350. shipping extra PM me.
Still haven't sold that thing?

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
Still haven't sold that thing?
Ive been busy lately. But if it don't sell soon its going on Crapslist..I have been modding my new Hondas... 2013 400 x and my wifes 2013 250 x buying nerf bars and bumpers.
Dazon 150 single Mods ...Uni-Filter, 30 mm Kiehin pumper carb, FMF power pipe, 30 mm Intake pipe, Hi Rev CDI, Orange HV coil, 10,000 rpm Tiny Tach,Works Performace Shocks 12" F Blaster 14" R . Pearl Perf Ceramic 13.5 rollers, Gates Power Belt,Kenda Claws F&R

Last edited by rich1; 07-21-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
thank you for the offer rich but I think im going to take a step back from the buggy stuff for a little bit. I want to sell some stuff first before I go any further.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1134 View Post
I feel your pain jman. I have had nothing but issues with the 62mm bbk. The first lasted one good trail ride but then cracked the piston on a routine run around the block. The second seized the rings flat with the piston for some reason and the worst part is that I didn't run it WOT. I had it in the garage just running it a little and running it at different rpms to break the engine in. I am currently on my 3rd piston. I changed the oil probably 4 times and I still see shiny tiny metal specs in the oil, which look like they are coming from the nicasil treated wall. I have kind of given up on the thing and will be taking it to the local Polaris dealer who sells them. Hopefully they can figure out my my current issues and I won't blow this one as well.
From my own experience now with the engine I cant see how a 63mm bore could last. Ive been reading more and scooter guys that tried 62mm bore kits also didn't last long. The walls are just way to thing!! the power really was nice but I will not build another one at 62mm. I have been doing a lot of research and the taida big block seems like a very good design from what im seeing and reading. Its expensive but seems like better quality, and more power. Like I posted before I still need to sell the yerf dog first then some other things to clear room and get $$ and then think about the taida big block. For now herbie is sleeping in the shed awaiting for a new beginning.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Dam, sorry Jman.

Now you guys got me freaked out about my 62mm....... EEEEKKKK!!!!!!
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Contributor

First ...Having to open up the cases that much makes the cylinder / head studs unstable. Second..The fact that the cylinder itself is sooooo thin doesn't help either. Third.. using a crank and bearings that was designed for a 125 cc bore means 3 strikes youre out . The 58 mm is about as far as I would even attempt it.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
First ...Having to open up the cases that much makes the cylinder / head studs unstable. Second..The fact that the cylinder itself is sooooo thin doesn't help either. Third.. using a crank and bearings that was designed for a 125 cc bore means 3 strikes youre out . The 58 mm is about as far as I would even attempt it.
couldn't have said it better. I don't recommend it period. xlint I wish u luck and hope ur stays together but just look how thin ur walls and cylinder studs are

Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 AM
Contributor

How much thinner is it than the stock wall? I thought they were suppose to be roughly the same so you had to bore the case out a hair to fit it in?

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1134 View Post
How much thinner is it than the stock wall? I thought they were suppose to be roughly the same so you had to bore the case out a hair to fit it in?
Not quite sure what ur talking about??

Old 07-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Power User

some bbk kits came out that were very thin wall on the jug so that the cases didn't need machined. Pretty quickly got a bad rep for coming "unglued." I have the remains of one such setup. For those that need the cases machined, not sure if they use the same wall thickness as a std. bore or if they are still a little thinner.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 PM

i still have the jug and the jug is fine no score marks in it. even though I have no use for it I kept it in case someone needs it. The jug to seems a little thin to me by the main studs for my liking.