BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Lurker

Default Newby with Carbide 150cc engine problems

Recently picked up a Fox Carbide 150cc for next to nothing. Needed some TLC. Engine is running but very poorly....

Cold start is fine, runs at idle for 3-4 minutes and then shuts off like someone turned the key. Instant.
Start and ride. Will only run up to about 18 mph, sputters. Shuts off after just a couple minutes.

Checked and cleaned air filter, fuel filter, carb and replaced the electronic choke. Put it all back together....same thing.

Any suggestions or recommendations for next step. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 AM

check spark plug could be getting a weak spark, change oil, play with your idle screw on your carb once it warms up, and your rollers in your cvt could be worn out causing you not to hit top speed but im sure there's a bunch of other things it could be. These are things i would just check thats all. Also take the carb back apart and clean it again and check what jets are in there.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Lurker

its ur flowt in ur carbeuraotor i had the same problem its located at the bottom you may nee to order a carbeurator rebuild kit
Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the reply. I will try that route and see if it resolves the issue.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome neighbor- verify your fuel flow to the carb is good-watch the fuel filter- Also verify that the vacuum line isn't cracked and is connected to the intake manifold,verify that the ground wires to the engine are tight along with any electrical connections(coil,kill switch, on/off or ignition)
Then I'd move to the carb for a cleaning.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Lurker

Removed and stripped the carb last night. What could be wrong with the float. It seems fine, hinge pin and plunger needle all look clean and working. What should I be looking for?

Also...I removed the carb adjuster screw. There is a spring inside and I think a small washer and o-ring. Can anyone tell me the sequence to put the washer and o-ring back in. I think they were on the inside of the spring but I didnt see them come out.

Again, thanks for the help
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Lurker

Tore down the carb again. This time I removed the fuel/air adjuster screw. Found two washers on the bench. Not sure how they go back.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator

what's missing from your picture is the piece that the main jet screws into. they have a name for it but I sure as heck can't think of it at the moment. Anyways, that o-ring and washer is typically what you see on that particular part, not what's on the idle mixture screw. For the idle mixture screw, just put it back in and turn it in till it bottoms out then back it off 1.5 turns as a starting point.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Administrator

P.S. I'm still questioning your choke setup. Engine likes extra fuel when cold once warm too much fuel as in what I choke would provide would make it shut off. If you are running very rich though it would show in your spark plug as a blackish plug.

What you are looking for in the carb is clogged jets, the main and the pilot. Compressed air is your friend in getting them clean especially the pilot jet. Do not put anything in the pilot jet that would actually widen the hole It is super sensitive. (i.e. don't use a drill bit). I use either a guitar string or a bristle off of a wire brush. Very small hole there. Otherwise, there isn't much too them provided everything is clean.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Lurker

I figured I might have done something wrong with the o-ring and washer. I put it on the carb adjust screw and now it wont start. I will tear down again and try it on the main jet. Thanks for the input!!!