BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Power User

Default Carter Talon 150 wiring ?s

I kind of have a minor head-scratcher. I have the carter talon manual with its lovely faded wiring diagram. the engine i have is a carter '07 2-bolt head, the harness that came with it seems to match the connections correctly.

However ....

The diagram does not show any blue wiring. For lighting I have what appears to be Blue and Brown instead of Brown and Yellow as per the diagram. I haven't yet back-traced the blue wire to see if it goes to the rectifier as the yellow does in the diagram. The only other "free" wires at that end (instrument panel) of the harness are a pair of black wires coming from the same bundle as the blue and brown, and a green and black which i'm pretty sure go to the accessory plug in. The black ones are also not shown in the diagram. I have located and connected the safety switch wires together.

The green/black accessory pair "got" me yesterday, hooked up them up to the outlet as black ground and green hot and "energized" my frame. noticed that goof when the reverse cable sparked off the frame while test running the engine.

Also, Would it be "normal" for the plunger starter (FEV) wiring off the carb to have the resistor "buried" somewhere in the loom? The diagram shows it on the green ground side between the connector plug and the instrument panel. My wiring has a clean, uncut run from the connector plug into the loom. So either this harness never had a resistor, or it's hidden in the wiring loom somewhere.

If anyone has any info as to whether or not this is the correct carter harness and what the two black wires are for, please let me know. TIA
Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Power User

Ok, the mystery blue just runs out to the lights and probably hooks to another color in the harness. Not that worried about that one, as the lights i have for it (switchable driving and fog lights) have their own switch and I can just connect to the + and - source wires.

The plunger starter's green wire just runs into a crimp connector for all the greens, so there is no resistor in this harness and apparently never was.

Should I be digging a resistor up for this or run without???????????
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Contributor

I dont think it matters if it is starting ok , Had a simular issue were is was burning up random grounds on another cart i had.
Just to find out i had a hot lead hitting the frame from time to time.
was back when i had the sons loncin 50cc shifter. LOL would not start unless i jiggle the shifter .
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Supporting Vendor

The Carter motor 2 bolt valve cover was the sym motor from Taiwon carter had ade specifically for them so they could have control of the parts. The engines were excellant motors with most having 4 valve heads. The problem is since carter had them made specifically for them to their specs the sym scooter motors are different and many parts do not match up which make getting parts a challenge since carter is out of business and doesn't appear to be returning.

TOM
Old 02-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Power User

Back on the wiring, the two blacks are hots for the wires, the blue and brown supply the front lights and brake light.

As far as the engine goes, this one is the 2-valve version. I kind of knew about the parts supply deal when i got it. The PO said it was a 4-bolt, I should've haggled him down some over it. From what i've read though, if need be, I think i can swap heads on it? Ironically the Sunl 4-bolt engine literally fell into my lap for under $100 on the way home on the same trip. The reason that i didn't start off with that one is that the wiring was a mess, it needed a CDI and the case sides had gasket sealer all over them indicating that it has definitely been gotten into internally. As soon as I get the carter dialed in and the swingarm ready for paint (have to add some tabs for wire harness hangers, electric box and the battery tray) I'm going to hang the sunl engine in it and see if i can get it running.

Last edited by x-bird; 02-12-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

The normal GY6 heads will not fit due to the differance in bolt spacing, the sunl 2 bolt valve cover head will have the same bolt pattern except fot the 2 8mm side bolts will line up differently on the head as well as the gasket will not properly line up.

TOM
Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Power User

so this is pretty much an "orphan" gy6? Figures, i'm good at picking the oddballs.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

They are actually the best GY6 out there as well as the sunl type. Performance was much better in their stock formation. Just that the chinese made more of the clones and therefore parts were manufactured especially performance for them. Kinda like the 390cid Ford vs. The 390cc AMC. Plenty of parts for the Ford but the AMC needs custom parts but will produce more HP over the ford.

TOM
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Power User

Cool, i've got the SD455 of GY6s, with parts rarities at the same level ... can someone please find me a correct numbers distributor for my '73 under $1,000 ... I can see the e-bay ads in 10 years. "Ultra rare NOS Carter/SYM GY6 head gasket ... BIN $595.00".