BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Lite Contributor

Default reverse cable?

i bought a baja dune 150 (crossfire 150) from this guy. he says he ripped the reverse cable while trying to go into reverse. it has the external gearbox. the buggy still goes forward and drives well. im wondering how do i change the reverse cable? please help! reverse is a definitive need for me.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Power User

At the rear, you need to remove the little stub (there's a couple different styles not sure what you have, mine has 2 screws holding it on) that the cable goes into on the gearbox housing. Once that is off, there's a little snap ring that needs to come off in order to remove the cable end from the end of the shift fork. Bit of a pain.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Lite Contributor

I am not positive if the cable is broken. I am a bit nervous to try to switch into reverse because it still goes forward fine. Is there a test i can do to see if it is broken or if it just needs to be adjusted?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistilledMetal View Post
I am not positive if the cable is broken. I am a bit nervous to try to switch into reverse because it still goes forward fine. Is there a test i can do to see if it is broken or if it just needs to be adjusted?
If the cable is broken or not tight enough the buggy will not go into reverse. Basically it will break in forward.
to know if your reverse cable is broken all you have to do is just pull the metal wire out if it's broken it will slip right out.

Just shift into reverse, if the buggy jumps, are seems as though it is in neutral , then the cable is fine and it needs to be adjusted.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Lite Contributor

Ok thanks il try that today
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
If the cable is broken or not tight enough the buggy will not go into reverse. Basically it will break in forward.
to know if your reverse cable is broken all you have to do is just pull the metal wire out if it's broken it will slip right out.

Just shift into reverse, if the buggy jumps, are seems as though it is in neutral , then the cable is fine and it needs to be adjusted.
I have the same issue. I tightened my cable as much as it can go and now when I shift to reverse it acts like it is in neutral. Is the cable stretched or something?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Lurker

yes prob. streched if it was to tight buggy will stay in rev. an not come out
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Heavy Contributor

have you adjusted it at both ends Tosser? at the lever and at the bell on the gearbox??
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Lite Contributor

No, I just did the lever end. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks