BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Belt Burning

I had one of my buggies up to my hunting property for the first time over the weekend. I have been using it on a family property closer to home with no problems. On the first drive I was in it with one of my brothers (a combined 425 lbs). We hadn't gone more than 3/4 mile when we started up a long hill. The engine was moving us up it but really slowly. When we got near the top the cvt belt broke. I imagine it was overheated from the load. I towed the buggy out with my tractor and haven't opened the housing yet.

I know we were pushing too much weight but with the steep hills on the property I am concerned that this will be a problem even with a solo rider in the 200 lb range. Is there a better belt choice (like a kevlar) or should I get a 39 tooth sproket? How much top speed will I lose with a 39 tooth sprocket? Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Lite Contributor

This thread has some pics of the terrain:
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2637
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Lite Contributor

Also, a little while before it broke down I notice that the front passenger tire was nearly flat. I imagine this added a good amount of extra load to the cvt belt since after the breakdown I tried pushing the buggy on flat ground and could barely move it because of the tire.