BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Lurker

Default newb project idea

So i have been wondering is there any way to put a manual transmission like from a shifter kart or some thing on a regular motor like a gy6 or the only way to do that is to but a dirtbike or quad motor?

Please keep in mind that im new to go karting
Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

You asked 2 questions- 1st -there isn't any practical/cost effective way to make a GY6 a manual transmission. 2nd- The practical/cost effective way to get a manual transmission would be to use an engine made with one. You can always make things designed one way to be used another but usually at a huge cost.
What are your issues?

Last edited by metalstudman1; 04-18-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Lurker

The thing is im planning on rebuilding a buggy like a yerfdog spiderbox and i just thought it would be cool to hook it to a manual transmission. Im just brainstorming ideas of what i could do i have seen a guy on youtube that put a 86 honda tr200sx on a yerfdog spiderbox which i really liked.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

That would be me- they're semi-automatic's not manual with a clutch. I'll respond to your youtube question here too!!! -read this thread-http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159 or
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1602
both of these are similar to what you would need

Last edited by metalstudman1; 04-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Lurker

and what newer engine could i use at an affordable price range (100-400 dollars)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

I spend a good amount of time researching powerplants. These Honda engines were made from 86-97,I own 5 of them & I only have one that needs to be rebuilt!! they all were bought stock and never rebuilt-
"newer doesn't mean better"!!!. Your price range is right one on for this powerplant/used ATV.
You'll need to find the whole ATV to get all the electrical/wiring harness with it as these parts cost the most bought individually. Depending on your level of fabrication you want to do will depend on what engines could work for you. The Honda TRX200SX is unique- it has pull & electric start, chain drive,air cooled, semi-automatic tranny w/reverse, 99% of all the parts are still available and very cheap!(the engine only had minor changes thru the years) & the most important thing is the reliablity of these engines (almost bullet proof!!). Almost no maintenance required (oil changes)
Is a manual clutch a must or a want?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Lurker

A manual clutch is a want so ill just go with out it. The biggest problem is that i want a motor that will not be too hard to swap since i have very limited tools. What motor would you suggest? and what are all the supplies that you need to swap it in?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

I'd read the two threads to see what all is involved with the transplant- any motor you pick will present challenges of their own. IMO- I think the Honda TRX200SX transplant was about as easy as you can get & not over-power the whole buggy. The reason for us posting our builds is so individuals like yourself can copy or innovate from our projects.
Briefly about supplies: I have lot's of junk 4 wheelers,go karts, ect... so many parts came from the boneyard.You'll need some 1/8"+ thick tubing (square or round),flat plate,ect... to modify the swingarm for an engine cradle. A shifter cable (4'), a shifter (or make one), a chain tensioner if the engine is mounted solid. That's really the major items- all the little brackets for the electrical components can be re-used from the atv as many of the nuts & bolts.
Tools: Welder, drill press,angle grinder,vise,clamps,tape measure, wrenches & ratchet set (metric & SAE) These are what I used- many other tools can do similar work.
The most important item needed- your desire,and application of your brain power to innovate!!! I find as much reward from the build as the end product.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Lurker

i think im just probably gonna go to a fabrication shop to get the swing arm done because i dont have most of those tools to make it. And as for the motor do you know anyone happening to sell one or a website or place that sells them cuz in my area they barely sell any atvs on craigslist or ebay.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've only used Craigslist- I check once a week for them specifically. Do yourself a search of ATV's/motorcycles by engine size(ie. 200cc,250cc,300c,ect...) See what type drive they have (chain or shaft) to figure out what you can use. Chain drive is definitely the easiest. Once you have this information you can decide based off price and manditory items wanted with an engine. "I'm a firm believer that bigger isn't always better" when it comes to these toys. If you have someone build the swingarm (you have no drawing) you'll be limited by their ingenuity for the design- you must have the complete engine for this fabrication. My builds are all experimental and on-going as far as durability, utilize whatever portions of my build threads you deem suitable for your project as every buggy is a little different.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Lurker

Ok thanks really appreciate it I'll send you a message if I have anymore questions.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Lurker

What about a lifan 200cc motor from a shifter kart. Will that be good to use?