BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Help with 150cc Buggy

I started a thread in the wrong section so instead of adding to it I figured I should put it in the right place.

I have been looking over one of the old buggies I bought and the parts that came with it. I found the final gear set is broken. From the research I have done it looks like I would need a gear press to fix it. I don't have access to one. Among other problems it also has some sort of electrical problem - possibly a bad starter motor.

I decided that I am going to give this buggy a major overhaul. (I was able to get the other one I bought running - although not perfectly - and that one has more body issues).

The upshot is that I decided to buy a new engine. The present engine is a 150cc gy6. The buggy has reverse with a shifter between the seats. It appears that new engines come with internal reverse or an external planetary gear box. Any idea which type I would need? The ones with the internal reverse have a handle for shifting and it doesn't look like it could be rigged to a shifter between the seats.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Contributor

Probably best to start off with some more detail, what brand is the buggy are you going to overhaul and pictures. Also good to know how much you are willing to spend little or a lot. Here is a whole new engine, with reverse, etc. Will it drop in? won't know till you show what it is going into. Pictures help a lot. Google search is your best friend, you will probably find someone who has already done it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150CC-GY6-AT...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks. I'll take some pics today. It is labelled Epella but it is apparently a chinese buggy imported in Europe but not common here. It looks like a roketa (there is a pif in the mini buggy forum).

Thanks for the link. That was the engine I almost ordered last night but he shifter on top looks wrong. Mine doesnt have that and I am not sure if it is removable and attaches to the buggy shifter. I will wait to order the motor until I get the old one out so I can look at it.

I don't have a shop so I am limited by daylight. The problem is that daylight hours I am working or dealing with my kids. So when I get a little bit of time it is rushed.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Contributor

Everything I found searching is in German, this may be a difficult project. Pictures might be the common language.
Here is a translated overview page http://translate.google.com/translat...prmd%3Dimvnsfd

video, is this yours?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1mbRmldzXQ
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Lite Contributor

Mine look just like that but one is blue and the other is silver.

I tracked the shifter cable back and saw that it goes to a case on the far end of the drive shaft past the sproket. I didn't have time to open it but it is probably a planetary gear system for reverse. It looks like I need a motor without internal reverse.