BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 03-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Lurker

Default A Few Problems...Need Your Expertise

I guess the first question I have is regarding the image. It looks like there is some oil coming out of the cylinder head at the breather tube and I just noticed it recently. Is this normal?

Second, and the biggest aggravation I am having is the starter relay. I had one go out about two weeks ago so I got a new one, and after about 10 starts, it has gone out. I have tested the voltage and have excellent voltage running to it and don't see any other wiring issues and I know these things can go bad, but does someone know where to get one that will last longer.

Lastly, my engine is running perfectly and I drive the spider box pretty hard, but it seems to be getting really hot. Is there any way to know if it is running too hot? I am here in Texas and the summer is hot enough, just don't want to cook the engine.

Thanks Everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0231.jpg (92.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Power User

from experience on other other equipment, the starter relay issue is either dirty connections, wiring beginning to corrode inside the insulation or too light of a wire gauge. too much resistance will cook relays and solenoids pretty quickly. If all the connections are good, i'd put in a clean run of new wire from the battery all the way through the circuit and consider stepping up to the next largest gauge size. If that doesn't do it, then there's either an issue with the solenoid or the starter that is causing there to be too much resistance and overheating the circuit.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Lurker

Thanks! I will make sure to check the wiring between the relay and the starter. I am running what looks to be 12 gauge wire for the hot and ground wires. If all else fails, I have a complete new wiring harness.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
I guess the first question I have is regarding the image. It looks like there is some oil coming out of the cylinder head at the breather tube and I just noticed it recently. Is this normal?
Lastly, my engine is running perfectly and I drive the spider box pretty hard, but it seems to be getting really hot. Is there any way to know if it is running too hot? I am here in Texas and the summer is hot enough, just don't want to cook the engine.

Thanks Everyone!
Yes the leakage appears normal- you may want to re-route the hose to be just above the engine elevation to let the oil vapor return back into the valve cover instead of dripping on the ground or engine.
As for cooling- on the front end of the CVT cover is a rubber vent outlet, change this out for a scotchbrite pad. If it still get's too hot you can replace the HOWHIT plastic cover with some hardware cloth or screen to really let it breath.