BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-11-2016, 09:05 AM
Lite Contributor

Default motor is back together wont start

I tore down the 150 motor in the Kandi this winter and bought a rebuild kit with larger 159 kit. got it all back together and not the thing will not start. I am pretty sure I got the cam set right but i guess it could 180 out but shouldn't it back fire through the carb if its 180 out. I also have a few vacuum tubes to figure out as I think they are messed up there sure are enough of them. Does anyone have a schematic for the 150 vacuum system? I checked for fuel and spark and have both. any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is someone knowledgeable that could help me getting this thing running in upstate NY I will buy the beer and pay for gas :-) My 5 year old son is very anxious to get it running.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Heavy Contributor

Timing? Did you make sure you timed it correctly? One thing that happened to me, when I rebuilt mine was that even thou, I was getting spark through the plug, it was not a strong one. After a few weeks of scratching my head, I used starter fluid. And I got a hiccup. And know I was getting fuel to it. So double checked the spark. Put in a old spark plug that worked when I took it out. Fired right up.
Make sure you got good seals around the intake. That your not getting any extra air, after your carb.
Did you gap your springs?
Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Lite Contributor

I tried my old plug after reading a post about how bad the new plugs could be. I left the springs as they were just bolted them down to the head and planned on gapping them after i got it running.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Lite Contributor

still do not have the thing running im running out of ideas here.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Contributor

do a quick compression test. have you verified the cam is in the correct relation to the crank (on the right stroke during assembly?) Have you verified spark? Don't just swap spark plugs check to see if you have spark at all. Make sure all your grounds are connected and are good. Do you have any leaks in the intake manifold?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:16 PM

is it cranking at all ?

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeBoxLen View Post
still do not have the thing running im running out of ideas here.
I know how it feels. Let's see if I can help. U

1-unscrew the spark plug from the head. Plug the spark plug cable onto the now removed plug. Touch the metal portion of the plug to a clean metallic part of the engine block, something not painted. At the same time have someone turn the ignition key and crank the engine. Are you getting blueish white spark? Orange spark? No spark at all? Blueish white is best, orange means a worn out coil, no spark means more trouble shooting. Post your result and I'll check in daily.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeBoxLen View Post
I tried my old plug after reading a post about how bad the new plugs could be. I left the springs as they were just bolted them down to the head and planned on gapping them after i got it running.
If you are getting good spark then you need to properly need to set your valve lash. If it's even off by much these gy6's react very badly. Your settings maybe so off that the cam is not even bumping open the valves. Go on YouTube, look up Daniel Martins or scrappy dog scooters how to video on gy6 valve lashing. Keep us updated.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Lite Contributor

I used a spak tester and I am deffinitly getting spark i think the cam is out of whack with the crank I am going to try to figure it out again this weekend. the motor turns over just fine. just will not fire.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:07 PM

spark, fuel, and air, are the first 3 things I always look for.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Lite Contributor

I finally got the buggy running again. I ended up having the cam in 180 out. I used this document to correct the issue. http://www.**********.com/tech-cente...ad-center-tdc/ I also set the valves with feeler gauges from another how to doc.I used a how to for the vacuum lines to get those redone properly. I hooked up my charger/starter and it fired right up. I spent the rest of the night putting the covers on seats in etc. I have to stop after work and pick up a new battery for it. I so all that is left to do is the oil change set the carb so it idles nicely and reinstall the rear fender covers. My kids were very excited to see the buggy alive again. Thank you all for your help.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

If you go to American Sport Works .com you can download the service manual for the model 7150 buggy with the GY6 engine. This manual is great and will show and tell you anything you need to know about that engine or transmission.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Lite Contributor

got a darn oil leak at the bottom of the cylinder where the case clamps together. At first I thought maybe I forgot to clean the old gasket material off which is pretty unlikely. After perusing the almighty internet it seems others have had the same leak at the cylinder gasket at the point where the crankcase bolts together and they fixed it with a little rtv. I already ordered new gaskets and they are on the way. However since I don't have to pull it totally apart to try a dab of rtv where it is leaking I think I will give the rtv a shot. If it works great I will have a spare gasket set if it does not well I will have to put new gaskets in the darn thing anyways.