BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Lurker

Default Trailmaster 150 XRX, First oil change

Hey guys-

So for Christmas I bought son this kart, trailmaster 150xrx. Owners manual is written for the blind, but I am mechanically inclined. So we used the cart for a few hours and wanted to get the break in oil out and some good stuff in. It says it's a gy6 engine and I seen a few videos where you drain the oil, I've seen two actually...one where it's a normal bolt, and the other is a bolt/filter plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDxL2-lJYq8

Now, when I drained it here, it seemed like very little oil came out. But, would not be surprised lol.

So my question is, is it ok to drain it here even know though I'm not pulling the filter? Engine seems solid now to be honest. Lol
Old 12-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Lurker

First photo is where I drained it from, second photo is where I could also along with pulling filter I guess.

Just wanna make sure I didn't drain something I shouldn't have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0405.jpg (88.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0406.jpg (87.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Lite Contributor

Hi, nice buggy. I'd recomend removing the filter bolt like you show in the second photo. It's spring loaded so carefully drop it out and take note of how the filter screen and spring fit unto the bolt. You'll drain off more oil that way. Remove as much of the cheap factory oil as possible.

Refill using a CONVENTIONAL oil made for 4 stroke air cooled motorcyle engines, to complete the break in. On your next oil change after you could use a synthetic motorcyle oil if you wish.

An excellent member of this site named Sycarms, a dealer. told me this:
"Although you can use automotive grade oil I don't recommend it. Water cooled engines operate at 200 deg. and below. Air cooled engines run between 350 - 370 degrees. Automotive oil designed for water cooled engines has a thermal breakdown of around 250 deg. Oil for air cooled engines have a thermal breakdown at around 400 deg. You really want an oil designed for motorcycle, atv, or v-twin air cooled engines."
Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Lite Contributor

Also, refill slowly from the dip stick tube or the oil backs up making it seem full too soon. Get a small funnel.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the reply! I will, drain it from the filter bolt next for sure. I was mind blown when I came across two drain videos! Had me second guessing for sure. and no way did 28-30 ozs come out when I drained it. Seemed like a lot of hard knocking to be honest...but when I did drain and ad 28 ozs today, it seemed happy lol. Alothough I did add in synthetic oil today, I did a Mobil 10-40.... to early you think?
Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Lurker

Are there any smaller micron filters we can buy, or is the stock for these the best we can get...??
Old 12-27-2016, 08:09 PM
Lite Contributor

Me personally I would stay away from synthetic until the next oil change.

As far as the mesh oil filters, those screens are typical from all supplies. These little GY6?engines in the ATVs should really be designed with a better oil filter. That's why it's important to change the oil regularity.