BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Engine swap into a kenbar sta9

purchased a used kenbar sta9 about a week ago. it had a briggs 5hp with comet series 30tav on it. i built a custom briggs 8hp 320CC motor for it. removed the govenor, installed a bearing side cover and bearing for the crankshaft for some serious rpm's. i flycut the head .015 to raise compression. (i am a machinist and have my own shop) i made an aluminum intake to run a mikuni 27mm dirt bike carb, put on a 1.25" diameter straight pipe exhaust i also made and re installed the comet 30. made my own throttle cable and mounts from dirt bike parts. its up and running now and it flies... the go kart is for my 10yr old daughter and she loves it... it might be a little too fast for her but she seems to be cautious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ktkenbar.JPG (45.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by LEEEZARD7; 07-13-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Lite Contributor

hp is likely around 13-14hp now with the mods i have done.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Contributor

Sounds like you're jumping in hot and heavy with 3 back to back builds...welcome aboard, and keep the pics coming. We love fabrication, experimentation, and application around here.You're gonna fit right in!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Lite Contributor

thanks kliff for the welcome! yes this one is pretty much finished with the exception my daughter wants to put on different front tires. she will likely paint it orange since she loves the general lee from the dukes of hazzard... lol
Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEEZARD7 View Post
thanks kliff for the welcome! yes this one is pretty much finished with the exception my daughter wants to put on different front tires. she will likely paint it orange since she loves the general lee from the dukes of hazzard... lol
That's cool, the more involved the kids become, besides just driving, the better they'll be prepared for what life throws at them further down the road. I love to see kids get into the buggy scene, with parental supervision, it teaches them humility along with reason, and good ole dose of common sense to boot. She'll do well!

Enjoy the site, we're not as big as some, and a lot less EGO- tistical than others. We may not have as much fab work going on as some, and maybe less public relations than others... we're just that sorta down home, smallish group, that builds, modifies, and maintains, whilst helping the newbs whenever we can. So get comfy, and join in on the fun.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- nice job on the Kenbar. Your daughter being cautious is a good thing!!!!I'd love to see the 500cc swap. Is your wife waiting on an upgrade now?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Lite Contributor

technically this one is a 320cc engine.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliff View Post
That's cool, the more involved the kids become, besides just driving, the better they'll be prepared for what life throws at them further down the road. I love to see kids get into the buggy scene, with parental supervision, it teaches them humility along with reason, and good ole dose of common sense to boot. She'll do well!

Enjoy the site, we're not as big as some, and a lot less EGO- tistical than others. We may not have as much fab work going on as some, and maybe less public relations than others... we're just that sorta down home, smallish group, that builds, modifies, and maintains, whilst helping the newbs whenever we can. So get comfy, and join in on the fun.
thanks for the warm welcome kliff. i prefer the down home smallish groups.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Welcome- nice job on the Kenbar. Your daughter being cautious is a good thing!!!!I'd love to see the 500cc swap. Is your wife waiting on an upgrade now?
yes wifes motor is finished now is waiting on me finishing the comet 4o drive. then she will be off and running.

on another note... i thought i was finished with my daughters sta9 but she found out moms sc7b will have pull start and electric start. daughters sta9 only has pull start at the moment. so im ordering a new flywheel, stator, and starter lol...
Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Lite Contributor

the flywheel, stator, and starter came in. also my 10yr old says she wants the dazon 21's in front, and dazon 22's in the rear.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 AM
Lite Contributor

the electric start flywheel, stator, and starter are installed now. tomorrow i will install an ignition switch, wiring, and battery. we will likely also install the dazon tires and wheels tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Lite Contributor

i rode this again today and it flies with my big a$$ on it. i hope she stays cautious.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Lite Contributor

REVISED 2.0... four wheeler tires and wheels, hd cromoly steering setup with heims
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kenbarsta9rev2.0.JPG (81.6 KB, 7 views)