BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Lurker

Default Carter GX150IIR help for newbie

Just joined and this newbie needs some help. Bought a used Carter GX150IIR about 3 years ago and have had a blast with it. Have had no problems....until now. Kids ran it a LOT more than I expected this summer and told me it won't start now. It cranks, but will not start. WARNING - I know nothing about engines. Gas tank was full, still wouldn't start. Charged the battery, still wouldn't start. Checked the oil....what oil? It was bone dry! Had a small engine shop look at it and they said it has compression issues. He doesn't work on these type of engines so basically said - try to find a replacement engine and I will replace it for you. In my search - I find Carter Bros is out of business.
So anyone have suggestions on a replacement engine or other suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in Ohio if that helps with a dealer/repair shop.
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Supporting Vendor

It probably just needs rings which is an easy job even for a first timer. Most small engine shops for whatever reason won't touch these buggies. If all you need are rings as I said it's an easy job but the later year Carters used SYM engines which look just like the GY6 but they were built to Carter specs and therefore parts for the engine other than rings just are not available. You can give me a call 662-301-1563 and I'll do what I can to get you up and running. If you call and get the answering machine, make sure you leave a message and I'll get right back to you.