BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Check your intake manifold!

I removed mine to check the main jet and realized I have tamperproof plugs, but anyways I checked the manifold.

I looks like with the nice molded rubber skin that it is a nice 90* curve...until you feel inside. Its more like 2 pipes 45*ed together and that is not good for flow!!!

I quickly smoother this out and reassembled. It was an improvement for sure! The buggy seemed to climb the higher rpms much easier.

I also read a guy did the same and with his mods had to jet down (smaller) due to the better flow, it started running richer. I am not saying this is a get rich quick solution haha But I am super curious on how the UNI filter, the couple small drill holes in the muffler, ported? manifold will do for the jetting.

Buggy runs great, starts great, idles great, seems to be burning well. Wondering how it all levels out jetting wise.

It makes perfect sense that it is possible to run richer with the better flow...it also makes sense that it could run leaner with the added flow post carb. The only thing that I noticed was the improved upper rpm performance.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Groovy! I'll be sure and check that next time I pull my carb. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Supporting Vendor

Removing all the slag and imperfections from the intake will make a noticeable difference but you do not want to go too smooth since this will impair the fuel atomization causing fuel to puddle in the head. I like to swirl the intake with 80 grit. This will break up the fuel molecules for a better mix with the air. Fuel in a vapor state mixes very well with air but does not mix well in liquid form which can look to be a rich mixture. Neither the intake manifold or intake runner of the head should ever be smooth or polished.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Lite Contributor

No polish, just cleaned it up with a dremel bit...nice and rough
Old 09-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Supporting Vendor

You don't want it too rough, just enough to break up the molecules. I use 80 gritt paper for final finish.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
You don't want it too rough, just enough to break up the molecules. I use 80 gritt paper for final finish.
I was just being sarcastic. Thanks for the expertise.