BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Lurker

Question Where to find jet for carbide 150cc in canada?

Hi, for the last little while I've been looking for a nice small light buggy frame that I would eventually put a nice motorcycle engine in. About a week ago I came across a carbide 150cc at our local TSC thats been sitting in a tarped crate for the last year un assembeled, and the dealer said he'd sell it for $1999 which is just $30 over dealers cost. So I bought it, knowing that its probably going to be pretty gutless but that was ok because I have no intention of keeping that engine in it. So I brought it home, assembeled it and have been breaking it in for the last week.

The 150 isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and is getting a bit better as it breaks in, but the hp to weight ratio is still alot lower then what I'm used to, but I'm curious to see how much more power you can get out of it before I replace it. I ordered a K&N Air filter for it and am going to get rid of that whole restrictive air box assembly, I am going to either gut the stock exhaust or just build my own exhaust like I do on my other toys, and I want to re jet the carb but am not having any luck in my web searching adventure finding any canadian retailers that would sell jets for this.

So to sum up the point of this post, I was wondering if anyone here would know of any canadian retailers that sell jets for these and maybe other performance parts for these if I decide to go further with the mods?

Also to make sure I'm searching for the right things, these carbides are indeed GY6 engines right? Also I found a couple american sites that will ship to canada, although it costs like $20 to ship a $3 part, but on these sites GY6 jets links to "Keihin" jets, would these be the right ones? Also browsing these forums people with high flow filters and open exhaust seam to use around 145 jets, would that be the right size to get?

Thanks in advanced for any replies. =-)

Last edited by DVL_IAC; 05-17-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Lite Contributor

Hi DLV, Welcome to the forum. The Carbide is a Gy6 150cc yes. Do a Google search for a site called giobikes, they're a Canadian bike/atv/buggy site. I haven't reviewed thier entire parts inventory, but it seems pretty extensive. You may have some luck on finding jets there.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Heavy Contributor

welcome to the group
i would think 130 thru 140 jet would
be about right unless you are at
high elevation like me then 120 to 125 jet
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Lurker

Just took a quick peak at that giobikes site and it looks like they have tons of stuff, I'll have to browse through the site when I get home from work. I am at a low elevation so I guess I'll look for jets in that 130-140 range.

One thing I came across thoigh in my ventures last night after I posted was, I came across some pages that said rather then buy a bunch of new jets, you can just find a drill bit the same size as the jet then go one size bigger and drill out the jet, then test and continue going up in drill bit sizes until you get to the perfact size. This was for like honda gx*** style engines though. Would this still work on the GY6's jet? Has anyone tried it? Is there any problems with re jetting this way?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Heavy Contributor

yes it will work its time consumming
most of us have american drill bit sizes
carbs are done with mm sizes
after you do your uni filter and gut or change exhaust
then start drilling do not drill with a drill soft copper do
it by hand
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Also, I get most of my jets at my local motorcycle franchise. If you are going to do UNI and exhaust, plan on being in the 140+ range. I actually used a wideband controller on mine and with an A9 cam, it wanted a 150 jet and had a spectacular spark plug burn.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Lurker

well I did a deeper look into that giobikes site and they don't seam to have much performance parts for the gy6, or if they do they don't mention that it works with gy6 :P and they don't seam to have any jets. :P

I was thinking I'd also try the higher rpm spring, rollers, and no rev limit performance cdi along with the jet, and being able to get all these from one place would be a bonus.

Do you know of any other canadian retailers that would sell this stuff? Too bad there wasn't a canadian version of that syc powersports thats in the banner on the top of the page. They seam to have everything I would need and more.

As far as checking our local motorcycle shop, sometime soon I have to get around to taking my motorcycle in for servicing, so I guess I could ask them if they have jets while I'm there. I still got another week or 2 to wait before my filter comes in so I'm in no rush, maybe I'll find something by then, if not I might just try drilling out the jet to a good size. :P

Thanks for all the replies guys. =-)

Last edited by DVL_IAC; 05-17-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Try a Google search on MBE Motorsports Inc. (I'm not putting non-supported vendor links on here. You gotta find 'em yourself! lol) They're in Quebec Canada, and definitley have what your looking for. Or if you're gonna buy this stuff all in one bunch, why not go with Tom at SYC? He could probably ship it all at once, and you'd have to go through all the shipping/customs B.S. just for one package, just one time.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Lurker

That MBE Motorsports seams like an awsome site to find replacement parts but they don't seam to have all the performance parts SYC has. :-/ Would SYC ship to canada? I think I remember seeing one of his replies in another thread with a canadian looking for parts, and part of his post said shipping to canada was a pain and shipping costs would be a killer. Maybe I'll email him and see what he says.